Author Topic: Fishman Loudbox Artist  (Read 11663 times)

Scriptor

• Veteran Member
  • What His holiness demands, His grace has supplied
    • RickLangdon.com
Fishman Loudbox Artist
« on: February 01, 2012, 02:32:35 PM »
I just played a Taylor 814ce through a Fishman Loudbox Artist ... I was pretty impressed with just about everything about it ... anyone else have one of these and can comment on their perceptions?  Pros & Cons?  Thanks.

(I have a buyer for my Marshall AS50R and was thinking that the Loudbox Artist might be its replacement)
-- Scriptor

Featured demo: http://www.ricklangdon.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/12/58-Weeping-in-Ramah-mix-2.mp3

For more very simple demos of original music recorded with Taylor guitars: http://www.ricklangdon.com

Edward

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
Re: Fishman Loudbox Artist
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2012, 04:58:30 PM »
Just a thought ...maybe post this in the "electric" forum??

Edward

Scriptor

• Veteran Member
    • RickLangdon.com
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2012, 05:03:00 PM »

Edward

Right.  I asked that it be moved there but it wound up here.  At any rate ... what do you think about the amp?    ;D
-- Scriptor

Featured demo: http://www.ricklangdon.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/12/58-Weeping-in-Ramah-mix-2.mp3

For more very simple demos of original music recorded with Taylor guitars: http://www.ricklangdon.com

michaelw

• Veteran Member
  • with more frivolous trivia than most infomercials
    • i agree with Fred
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2012, 06:27:50 PM »

Edward

Right.  I asked that it be moved there but it wound up here.  At any rate ... what do you think about the amp?    ;D
from looking at the subforum footers -
'Taylor Acoustic Guitars'
'Discuss anything that relates to Taylor Acoustic Guitars! Even Amps, Pickups etc.'

i believe the Electric subforum is meant for topics & discussions pertaining to the T5, T3 & SB electrics,
along with their respective (electric) amps, pick ups, pedals, etc & as the guitar in question is a 814ce
(acoustic-electric) & the Loudbox Artist is marketed as an acoustic amp, i think this is the 'right' place ???

just searching around, i wasn't able to find a post from a member that owns the Artist
http://www.unofficialtaylorguitarforum.com/index.php?topic=1003.0
but Jim (roadbiker) has a Loudbox Mini ... sorry i can't be of more help on this  :-\

« Last Edit: February 01, 2012, 08:55:31 PM by michaelw »
it's not about what you play,
it's all about why you play ...

support indie musicians
https://www.patreon.com/sidecarjudy
https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/the-jessica-malone-music-project#/

csm

« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2012, 07:46:10 PM »
I do not own the amp, but was very impressed with it.

Go Navy

• Northern California
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2012, 01:05:00 AM »
I do not own the amp, but was very impressed with it.

Same here....it is on my short list for sure.
Guild Manhattan X-175 (1976)
Ibanez GB10 George Benson 1980
2012 Taylor 812ce Cedar

Scriptor

• Veteran Member
    • RickLangdon.com
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2012, 08:49:12 AM »
After playing for a good while with the 814ce, my impressions/observations:

1)  Very nice, natural acoustic sound
2)  Loud enough and more
3)  Very quiet/clean (no noise/hiss etc.)
4)  Perfect set of controls; easy and intuitive; everything makes sense w/o the manual
5)  A good minimal selection of effects (just the right ones); really like the way you can combine effects A and B and that there are Time and Depth adjustments
6)  Has all the right output options, per channel or master post
7)  Light weight and compact
8 )  Phantom power
9)  XLR or 1/4 inch inputs for both channels
10) 2 types of anti-feedback
11) Dedicated Tweeter adjustment on the front panel
12)  Channel Mute

But the bottom line is that I was hearing a very good natural, acoustic, clean sound with plenty of punch from this little amp ... I think I just convinced myself to buy it ... ;D

-- Scriptor

roadbiker

• Veteran Member
  • Member #100
    • jmaurophoto
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2012, 03:27:07 PM »
I have not played the Loudbox Artist, but if the big brother to the Mini is as good sounding as the Mini, then it's a winner. After overcoming (I hope) some ES system fuse issues that were causing the amp to hiss a lot, I am very happy with the combination of my 814ce and the Loudbox Mini. I've been through a bunch of different cables to get the best and cleanest sound and, as suggested by some in this and other forums I bought an Audix T-50K Inline Impedance Matching Transformer  and a Monster Cable Studio Link 500 TRS-XLR cable. It works like a champ! In comparison to standard balanced and non-balanced cables, connecting my 814 to the Mini with this cable combination actually produces more volume.

The Mini has good EQ controls (low - mid - high) plus very effective Reverb and Chorus controls for the guitar input channel, which uses a 1/4" jack. It has a second channel on the front panel that has fewer controls and is dedicated to a mic input, using an XLR connection. Each channel has it's own, independent "gain" (volume) control, and there is a master volume control that adjusts the volume for all channels. On the back there is an 1/8" input for an iPod or other MP3 player, plus a 1/4" auxiliary input that can be used for another guitar. The master volume dial on the front panel controls the auxiliary inputs on the back panel.

The sound is very cleanly acoustic and faithfully reproduces the sound from my 814. I find that little EQ adjustment, if any, is required, but the control is there to adjust the sound according to your taste or room in which you are playing.  There is also a phase switch that effectively minimizes acoustic feedback.

I use mine in my house and with 60 watts it is more than loud enough. I would venture to say that it is more than suitable for use in small venues such as coffee shops, etc., but anything larger than that might be better suited for the Loudbox Artist. I may eventually "upgrade" to the Artist for the additional features, but for now I am very happy with the Mini.

I hope this helps,
Jim
« Last Edit: February 02, 2012, 03:34:33 PM by roadbiker »
1980 Guild D50 (Westerly), Antique Sunburst
2010 Epiphone Masterbilt AJ500R Acoustic/Electric
2010 Taylor GS Mini
2011 Taylor 814CE Acoustic/Electric
2015 Taylor 356ce
1975 Carlo Robelli SG Custom (Sam Ash model)
Fishman Loudbox Mini
VOX AGA70

www.jmaurophoto.com

Scriptor

• Veteran Member
    • RickLangdon.com
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2012, 04:34:11 PM »
After overcoming (I hope) some ES system fuse issues that were causing the amp to hiss a lot

Please tell me more about this; my 814ce has absolutely no noise when plugged in but my 414ce has a little hiss that I'm thinking might be the fuse; is this something I can take care of or should I take it back to the shop?

I hope this helps,
Jim

Sure does ... thanks Jim ...
-- Scriptor

roadbiker

• Veteran Member
  • Member #100
    • jmaurophoto
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2012, 06:35:38 PM »
After overcoming (I hope) some ES system fuse issues that were causing the amp to hiss a lot

Please tell me more about this; my 814ce has absolutely no noise when plugged in but my 414ce has a little hiss that I'm thinking might be the fuse; is this something I can take care of or should I take it back to the shop?

When I first got my Loudbox Mini and plugged in my 814, the RH% was very low - about 29%. It caused a lot of static electricity. Even just moving around in my seat with the guitar made the amp pop and hiss. With the amp at a reasonable volume setting, the volume in the guitar set to about the 1:00 position, and the treble set to about 3:00 (just as an experiment), the hissing was terrible. It stopped whenever I touched something metallic in-line between the guitar and the amp: a metal surface of the amp, the plug on the cable, or the plug on the bottom of the guitar. The hissing did not stop when touching the strings.I raised the RH% to about 50% and nothing changed. I called Taylor service and they told me that if touching the strings didn't stop the hissing it was an indication that the fuse was blown. Obviously a grounding problem. They sent me a couple of replacements. Not having replaced the fuse before (guitar is new since Black Friday), I took it to the shop that I bought it at and they replaced the fuse for me. Before I left, I plugged into a Loudbox Mini in the shop to verify that it was fixed.

Then I took the guitar and amp to my parents house in VA. The same thing happened. Low RH and the hissing started again. When I came home, I tried it again just to see if it was a problem with the current at my parents house, but it did the same thing. I called Taylor again and they sent me to an authorized service center in Atlanta. I took the guitar to them, plugged it into a Loudbox Mini and it was fine, so I thought that it was the amp. I exchanged the amp (purchased at Musician's Friend - great people to deal with, btw) and when I got the replacement yesterday I eagerly tried it out, only to have the hissing. Now I'm getting really frustrated. I tried plugging the amp into different outlets, used a power conditioner - anything I could think of. Nothing stopped the hissing. I took the battery out of the ES, removed the two screws that hold it in place, and slid the unit out. Replacing the fuse is easy. No tools required. Just take the old one out, insert the replacement, and button it up. Now everything is fine. I hope it lasts.

It seems to me that the system should not be so sensitive to static electricity, but in my limited experience with the Expression System, that's the problem.

I hope this helps, and good luck.

Jim
2010 Taylor GS Mini
2015 Taylor 356ce
Fishman Loudbox Mini
VOX AGA70

www.jmaurophoto.com

Scriptor

• Veteran Member
    • RickLangdon.com
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2012, 08:36:19 PM »
Thanks Jim ... on my 414ce, although my problem doesn't seem to be quite as bad as yours was, the symptoms are the same ... if I touch anything metal in-line, the hissing stops; touching the strings does not.  My 814ce does not have any hiss hooked to the same amp, same input.  I'm going to think about replacing the fuse myself but does it take a special fuse?  If so, I'll just take it to the shop. They will probably do it for the cost of the fuse if it is that easy.
-- Scriptor

roadbiker

• Veteran Member
  • Member #100
    • jmaurophoto
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2012, 09:13:03 PM »
Thanks Jim ... on my 414ce, although my problem doesn't seem to be quite as bad as yours was, the symptoms are the same ... if I touch anything metal in-line, the hissing stops; touching the strings does not.  My 814ce does not have any hiss hooked to the same amp, same input.  I'm going to think about replacing the fuse myself but does it take a special fuse?  If so, I'll just take it to the shop. They will probably do it for the cost of the fuse if it is that easy.

You're quite welcome. If your guitar is new, then I suggesat calling Taylor. The fuse it specific to the ES and may only be available from Taylor. If the guitar is new, then they will probably send the fuse to you for free, otherwise it will cost.

Jim
2010 Taylor GS Mini
2015 Taylor 356ce
Fishman Loudbox Mini
VOX AGA70

www.jmaurophoto.com

mediaman09

« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2014, 03:42:06 AM »
.... I've been through a bunch of different cables to get the best and cleanest sound and, as suggested by some in this and other forums I bought an Audix T-50K Inline Impedance Matching Transformer  and a Monster Cable Studio Link 500 TRS-XLR cable. It works like a champ! In comparison to standard balanced and non-balanced cables, connecting my 814 to the Mini with this cable combination actually produces more volume....

Great tip.  In your research, did you determine if there were differences in quality in the choice of Impedance Matching Transformers?

I can locally find one by Link Audio and Apex  (Yorkville) but would have to order the Audix from the states ( totally worth it if it makes a difference)

Ref:
http://www.theartsmusicstore.com/p-653-apex-aa39-impedence-xlr-14-line-transformer.aspx
http://www.long-mcquade.com/5309/Pro_Audio_Recording/Cables/Yorkville_Sound/Link_Audio_LoZ_to_HiZ_Transformer_Cable_-_6_foot.htm ,
« Last Edit: July 15, 2014, 04:31:40 AM by mediaman09 »
2013 TAYLOR 818E FIRST EDITION (#83)  (Beauty and the Beast)
2013 EPIPHONE AJ220SCE (Campfire)
2010 TAYLOR 214E (to daugther)
Electric:
2010 EPIPHONE SHERATON II
2010 EPIPHONE 335 DOT
2009 GODIN FREEWAY
Classical:
1970 ARIA AC-15
1970 ARIA A551B

mediaman09

« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2014, 04:08:44 AM »
.... the hissing was terrible. It stopped whenever I touched something metallic in-line between the guitar and the amp: a metal surface of the amp, the plug on the cable, or the plug on the bottom of the guitar. The hissing did not stop when touching the strings....

As to the hissing, I have a variation of the problem you described, on the Loudbox Artist.

Plugging in my Epiphone produces no hiss (gain and volume at half). But with my $$$$ Taylor 818e, there is a pronounced hissing/noise. Touching the strings makes no difference, and, note, touching anything metal also makes no difference. So that's different than your scenario.

I wonder if that means it's NOT the grounding fuse, and that simply the use of an impedance matching transformer would solve the noise problem. I will purchase one anyway as a first step before I bring the Taylor back for a fuse change.

$
« Last Edit: July 15, 2014, 12:31:35 PM by UTGF-Team »
2013 TAYLOR 818E FIRST EDITION (#83)  (Beauty and the Beast)
2013 EPIPHONE AJ220SCE (Campfire)
2010 TAYLOR 214E (to daugther)
Electric:
2010 EPIPHONE SHERATON II
2010 EPIPHONE 335 DOT
2009 GODIN FREEWAY
Classical:
1970 ARIA AC-15
1970 ARIA A551B

EGBDF_Paul

« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2014, 09:15:16 AM »
Glad I found this thread. I have the same problem with my Fishman Loudbox Artist. My 2008 816 CE hisses like a bad boy but my GSM-e RW does not and my Epiphone DRM500 slightly. Been scratching my head and will try these ideas.

Thanks

Paul