Author Topic: 314ce V-Class?  (Read 2546 times)

tdavis

314ce V-Class?
« on: November 23, 2020, 11:03:25 AM »
Having been through a really rough time financially during the last 3-4 months with a furlough/layoff due to the pandemic lockdown...I've been without a guitar at all for the last couple of months, since selling the ones I had to take care of bills and general living expenses. But...things are looking better, and I am again looking for a new guitar...probably in the under-$2000 price point, until things get back to whatever "normal" looks like moving forward.

Can someone give me a mini-review of the new Taylor 314ce V-Class? The 414ce v-class I had recently was the first Taylor I've actually bonded with after a long marriage with Martin...but I just can't reach that model price-wise again right now. Is the 314ce V-class as "treble-oriented" a tone as I remember the lower model Taylors used to be...or has the tone gotten more balanced and full?

I can reach the 314ce V-vlass right now, and I am hoping I can enjoy it. Thanks for the help.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2020, 01:29:52 PM by tdavis »

Strumming Fool

• Veteran Member
  • Christi simus non nostri
Re: Need help with new guitar choice: 314ce V-Class
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2020, 01:35:02 PM »
The 314 is a really nice guitar, but I have always found them to be thin-sounding guitars based on my personal preference. I think that it's the sapele back/sides, which provide a crisper sound than mahogany. For a bit more money, I recommend the 324ce. It is by no means thin-sounding due to the mahogany top and blackwood back/sides. It has a wonderful, warm and unique sound that is very balanced, and it very easy on the eyes with its edgeburst top and black-accented appointments. Hope you find what works for you!
My Taylor Grand Auditoriums:

1997 Cujo14 - old growth cedar/black walnut
2014 K24e - master grade koa
2018 Custom GA - bear claw sitka spruce/mahogany
2019 614 - torrified sitka spruce/flamed maple
2020 714 - lutz spruce/rosewood

DennisG

• Veteran Member
  • Veni Vidi Velcro: I came, I saw, I stuck around
Re: 314ce V-Class?
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2020, 01:49:10 PM »
One thing you might consider is the used market to get the guitar you really want.  I see 414s come on the market frequently, both on Craigslist and in the Acoustic Guitar Forum, which you can find here:  https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=17
-------------------------------------
'21 Goodall GC - master redwood/Macassar ebony
'18 Taylor K14-BE
'18 Taylor 114e
'21 Taylor GT Urban Ash
'15 Martin uke

sergeko

« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2020, 06:20:28 AM »
Personally I'm very fond of the 300 series. Much more so than the 400.

I would recommend to also look at the 12 fret models.
Taylor 312ce 12-fret V-Class (2019)

boneuphtoner

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2020, 11:03:15 AM »
From a tone perspective, I don't think you give up anything with the 300 series guitars - no they don't have as much bling as the higher end series.  If you ever want to hear proof of how beautiful a 314ce can be, check out Daria Semikina's excellent videos on youtube - simply breathtaking performances!

And as I said recently in another thread, there are only subtle differences between Taylor's different mahogany top guitars, and most of them are in the 32x series - and they are all among my favorites, regardless of the choice of back/sides wood - which I don't think matter as much for mahogany top guitars - also note that Taylor uses genuine tropical mahogany for the 32x/52x series - many other builders, including Martin have substituted sipo/sapele as being in the mahogany family, on their 15 series guitars. 

tdavis

« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2020, 11:22:39 AM »
From a tone perspective, I don't think you give up anything with the 300 series guitars - no they don't have as much bling as the higher end series.  If you ever want to hear proof of how beautiful a 314ce can be, check out Daria Semikina's excellent videos on youtube - simply breathtaking performances!

And as I said recently in another thread, there are only subtle differences between Taylor's different mahogany top guitars, and most of them are in the 32x series - and they are all among my favorites, regardless of the choice of back/sides wood - which I don't think matter as much for mahogany top guitars - also note that Taylor uses genuine tropical mahogany for the 32x/52x series - many other builders, including Martin have substituted sipo/sapele as being in the mahogany family, on their 15 series guitars.

I really have never warmed up to a hog top guitar. Maybe I just never had the right one...but they seem TOO mellow and "round" to me. The spruce top gives a guitar with mahogany back/sides a bit of a ring that I like while retaining the woodiness and articulate sound of individual notes. I wish Taylor could've used real mahogany on the back/sides of their 300's instead of sapele...but I'm sure that would drive the price point up.

Strumming Fool

• Veteran Member
  • Christi simus non nostri
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2020, 12:36:09 PM »

I really have never warmed up to a hog top guitar. Maybe I just never had the right one...but they seem TOO mellow and "round" to me. The spruce top gives a guitar with mahogany back/sides a bit of a ring that I like while retaining the woodiness and articulate sound of individual notes. I wish Taylor could've used real mahogany on the back/sides of their 300's instead of sapele...but I'm sure that would drive the price point up.

Your experience with hog tops makes sense, but I strongly recommend the 324. I believe that you will find this guitar sounds quite different than most hog tops. Mahogany is the softest of the hardwoods , making it closer to spruce than the others. In the last few years, Taylor has cracked the secret of taking away the muddiness and bringing better articulation to the hardwood topped guitars they produce. Do yourself a favor and try one! I think you'll be pleasantly surprised.
My Taylor Grand Auditoriums:

1997 Cujo14 - old growth cedar/black walnut
2014 K24e - master grade koa
2018 Custom GA - bear claw sitka spruce/mahogany
2019 614 - torrified sitka spruce/flamed maple
2020 714 - lutz spruce/rosewood

boneuphtoner

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2020, 01:26:59 PM »
If you have never played Taylor's hog top guitars, they may surprise you - in addition to Taylor, I'm a huge fan of Martin guitars also and although in general I actually prefer Martin's spruce top guitars over Taylor, Martin's hog top guitars tend to sound very dull to my ear.  Bob Taylor offered a clue in a recent Primetime video - he went on record saying that Sapele, etc., while a great wood for back/sides, was not good for building tops because it would be too thick.  And Taylor does use genuine tropical mahogany for all of their guitar tops.  At least in comparison to Martin's hog top guitars, the Taylor hogs have much character and and there is soulfulness to the sound that was notably absent in the comparable Martins.

But you can't go wrong with any of the 31x series either. 

sstaylor58

« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2020, 07:06:10 PM »
I own a non Vclass 314ce, a 2012 model, and it is superb in every way I care about. Easy to play, full sound, good bass and trebles, in short it’s a stellar instrument. And I have owned many Taylor’s over the years, including high end models. For me the 314 is all I need. I have tried some v braced 314’s, and they were good too, but being newer it is hard to compare to one that has opened up such as mine. As others have said, you give up some bling by staying in the 300 series, but certainly not tone. You can also find good 314’s used for good prices, I sure did. Good luck on your search!
Taylor 314ce
Taylor GS Mini Mahogany
Martin Custom OM-15
Yamaha FSX730SC
Yamaha FSX800C