Author Topic: GS Mini strings to try for a beginner?  (Read 2905 times)

In_Tune

GS Mini strings to try for a beginner?
« on: July 13, 2021, 10:49:15 PM »
I'm just starting out, and got myself a nice, used GSM.  I know it comes with 13s stock (although mine didn't since it was used), but I'm looking for some beginner-friendly strings that are somewhat easy on the fingers.  I've tried a handful of brands and gauges, and I'd probably say the D'addario EXP lights or custom lights are my favorite.  I'm sure I'm giving up some volume and tone, but I'm just playing by myself for now, so no need to get super loud.

I like the silk and steel strings that I tried, but they are definitely a lot more mellow than the EXP phosphor bronze.  I read that silk and bronze sort of fall in between silk and steel, and PB.  Anyone try those?  They come in 12s, but they are supposed to be lower tension than regular strings.  The John Pearse silk and bronze get pretty good reviews.  If those don't work, I'll probably just go back to the EXP custom light, since they are fairly easy on the fingers, and still sound reasonable.  I did also try some extra lights (10s), but that high E string just felt too thin and fragile.

Edward

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
Re: GS Mini strings to try for a beginner?
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2021, 11:02:43 AM »
Hey there In Tune,

Welcome to the forum, and congrats on the GSm ...I love these guitars!

Sure, 12s will help ease the finger pressure needed.  Silk and Steels are worth a try, but may I recommend you try the elixir lights (12s) in phosphor bronze.  These will be markedly lighter in feel than mediums, the PB composition will yield bigger, warmer bass tone, and of course the nanoweb coating really does a lot to preserve the tone over the strings' uselful lifespan.  Elixir also makes a custom-lght set should those gauges appeal to you more. 

As a side note, as as you clearly already know, starting out with guitar can feel tough on the fingers/hand for a while.  But regular practice (and smiling a lot ;) ) will get you through this period and you'll find that you've wholly forgotten that discomfort as you progress.  Which is my way of saying sure, try any strings that you want for tonal reasons, but perhaps consider PBs in 12s first (elixir or EXPs, though I personally prefer the former) instead of silks because the voice the guitar is bigger and beefier.  You'll likely be more satisfied with the guitar's voice over the silks (IMO and best guess), and you'll get accustomed to the feel in fairly short order.  FWIW, anyway!  Enjoy the journey and post back what ya think! :)

Edward
« Last Edit: July 14, 2021, 11:08:38 AM by Edward »

Earl

• Veteran Member
  • Quando omni flunkus moritati
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2021, 11:52:54 AM »
Welcome!  My wife used PB 12's on her mahogany top GS Mini when she had it.  Sometimes it was Elixir's PB and other times they were plain EJ-16 PB's.  She plays infrequently and does not have tough calluses built up.  Furthermore, she plays mostly in Open G tuning (DGDGBD) so the tension is even less than standard tuning.  Tension relates to scale length and pitch.  With the short 23.5" scale of the GS Mini, going up to medium (13's) maintains the original playing tension and feel at E-e tuning.  To me they felt too floppy, but 12's were perfect for her needs.

You can always tune all six strings in standard down a half step (Eb) or a whole step (D-d) to reduce string tension.  Absolute pitch only becomes an issue if you are playing along with others or a recording.  At some point of lower tension you will start to get buzzing, and may need a minor quarter-turn truss rod adjustment.  But feel free to experiment with strings and pitch.

Another tip:  take your playing in several 15 minute sessions throughout the day, instead of sitting for 60+ minutes all at once.  Enthusiasm is great, but give the tissue some time to recover.  Calluses, like Rome, are not built in a day.   8)
Taylors:  424-LTD (all koa) and a 114ce that lives with friends in Alaska.  Low maintenance carbon fiber guitars are my "thing" these days, but I will always keep the koa 424.  Several ukulele and bass guitars too. 
*Gone but not forgotten:  a 2001 414ce, 410, 354-LTD twelve string, 314-N, 416-LTD baritone, T5 Classic, 615ce, 2006 GS-K, 1996 (first year) Baby

In_Tune

« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2021, 08:26:42 PM »
Thanks, guys.  I appreciate the info.  So, tone and volume wise, the 12s are definitely best, IMO.  I imagine the stock 13s would be even better, but not for my fingers, haha.  I did try the D'addario silk and steels, and I like the sound and feel, but there is definitely a bit missing compared to PB strings.  Another thing I noticed with the silks is, only the lower 4 strings are silked.  High E and B are plain steel.  The transition when going from the silked strings to the steels sounds a bit off.  For example, B sounds really ping-y compared to G.

I'm probably going to stick with lights (12s) for a while and see how it goes.  I'm not sure about custom lights.  The higher strings are lighter, but the overall tension difference vs the lights isn't much.  Might as well just go with the 12s.

My main instrument is piano, so ideally, I'd like to avoid calluses all together (they feel a bit weird when playing the keys), but I doubt that will be possible, regardless of the strings I use.  OTOH, I know I need to toughen that skin up to help with guitar playing, so I guess I'll just adjust.  Do most electric guitar players wind up with calluses, too?

Edward

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2021, 09:16:35 PM »
"Calluses" I think is a bit of a misnomer, really.  We use the term, sure, but it's not like you get a callus on each finger tip like a tough skin patch.  What happens is your fingertips simply adjust uniformly; there is no discernable "callus" I have ever noticed (ok, maybe when I first started,? ...but I can't remember that far back, lol!)

So to answer your question, FWIW, I play a lot, as in a lot!  Electric maybe >60% of the time, but then I can go weeks on an acoustic-only binge when I'm in that mood so it really just varies on whim or gig date.  And I have no noticeable calluses, just fingers that have grown accustomed to playing.  I have no doubt that your fingers will not compromise your piano playing in the least.  You'll simply adjust, and you won't even realize it until you notice that you didn't notice a struggle :)

Edward

In_Tune

« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2021, 09:30:22 PM »
"Calluses" I think is a bit of a misnomer, really.  We use the term, sure, but it's not like you get a callus on each finger tip like a tough skin patch.  What happens is your fingertips simply adjust uniformly; there is no discernable "callus" I have ever noticed (ok, maybe when I first started,? ...but I can't remember that far back, lol!)

So to answer your question, FWIW, I play a lot, as in a lot!  Electric maybe >60% of the time, but then I can go weeks on an acoustic-only binge when I'm in that mood so it really just varies on whim or gig date.  And I have no noticeable calluses, just fingers that have grown accustomed to playing.  I have no doubt that your fingers will not compromise your piano playing in the least.  You'll simply adjust, and you won't even realize it until you notice that you didn't notice a struggle :)

Edward

Thanks, that sounds good  8)  I think maybe because I'm in the beginning stages, my fingers are still in the adjustment process.  I'll keep at it; it's been fun so far!

Earl

• Veteran Member
  • Quando omni flunkus moritati
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2021, 01:38:55 PM »
"Calluses" I think is a bit of a misnomer, really.

I beg to differ.  I certainly get calluses on my entire fretting fingertip and they are noticeably thicker in the areas where the string gets pressed down most directly.  In fact, I keep a foam sanding block next to my TV chair.  If I am playing a lot - say 60 minutes per day or more - it is necessary to sand my fingertips smooth at least once a week.  Otherwise the actual callus can peel up at its edges and get torn off.  Sanding fingertips is now part of my fingernail maintenance routine.  YMMV.  I play 100% acoustic, mixing between medium gauge strings and twelve string.  Most weeks I get in 10-12 playing hours, sometimes more.  My 12-string got a 45 minute session just last night, in fact.

I have no fingerprint at the very end of my fretting fingers and the skin is thick enough that it does not sense very well on touch screens, like my iPhone.
Taylors:  424-LTD (all koa) and a 114ce that lives with friends in Alaska.  Low maintenance carbon fiber guitars are my "thing" these days, but I will always keep the koa 424.  Several ukulele and bass guitars too. 
*Gone but not forgotten:  a 2001 414ce, 410, 354-LTD twelve string, 314-N, 416-LTD baritone, T5 Classic, 615ce, 2006 GS-K, 1996 (first year) Baby

Edward

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2021, 06:40:45 PM »
Yeah, that's a good amount of playing there, Earl ...good on you, sir!

I think it's safe to say that everyone's physiology is different, right?  So I offer again that I play a lot, that's my personal practice and whatever rehearsals, both electric and acoustic; all guits are on the wall because I want to be able to grab at a whim, and do so frequently.  All to say I have zero discernable "calluses" as most people know a "callus," i.e. a toughened patch of skin that --as Earl just offered-- is so pronounced that this layer of skin can peel off.

So let me be explicit here: I've had those genuine calluses on hands when working with tools, on feet with ill-fitting shoes, or perhaps with boots or hiking, various sports where it's usually the feet or hands that bear the callus.  And here's the common denominator for me: in every instance I have gotten whatever callus, it has always been when doing that something repetitively or frequently when that was not the normal case.  I don't swing a hammer every day, so when I spend 3 days out back addressing the patio slats, yup you guessed it, I get calluses on hands.  Same goes with holding a paintbrush.  Same goes with hiking.  And I never really was the seasoned athlete, so when goofing it up with friends, yeah, I have gotten the occasional callus.  The point is clear: I am performing a task which I normally do not do with regularity.  Hence, the skin responds with said callus. 

FWIW, and now perilously close to off topic, my friend who is a Stage/Set dresser has a very physically demanding job has tough hands, but zero calluses.  Also been a drummer for  coming on 50 years (and my current drummer, yay!) and no "calluses" where skin peels.  Same with an uncle who is an electrician (on large commercial sites) and just turned 60, still working.  So I in my little guitar hobby as a non-pro musician who just loves doing it, likewise have no "calluses."  Our common denominator is that the body clearly adjusts, the skin adjusts, and none of us are walking around with skin patches peeling from repeated work, or so toughened that there is loss of feel.  Moreover, we all just do that which we do, repeatedly, without untoward pain or physical maladies (oooh thankfully!) because the body clearly does what it always does: adapt to its conditions.

Man o man, I have clearly spoken far too much about skin ...LOL!  Let's just leave it as everyone's physiology clearly differs, but continually playing guitar will likely not wreak havoc on your fingertips.  :D

Edward
« Last Edit: July 15, 2021, 06:48:32 PM by Edward »

In_Tune

« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2021, 08:17:25 PM »
Good to hear everyone's experience.  I guess I will just have to see how it goes.  I've been playing around for a few weeks now, and have I guess what I call the beginnings of calluses.  If I press on them, they hurt just a bit, but nothing too bad.  I just put the EXP lights (12s) back on the guitar, and I'm gonna stick with those for a while.  The heavier strings sound the best out of all the ones I've tried.  I think 13s would be too much for me at this point, but maybe down the line.  Volume wise, the GS sounds good to me (at least playing in my house, or backyard).

Off topic, but I'm actually not sure what wood it is.  I was thinking spruce, but it's not quite as light as some I've seen.  Any way to tell from the serial number?  I looked it up and figured out it was built in 2013 (was thinking it was newer when I bought it because it's in good shape).

SDTaylorman

« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2021, 12:44:59 AM »
Off topic, but I'm actually not sure what wood it is.  I was thinking spruce, but it's not quite as light as some I've seen.  Any way to tell from the serial number?  I looked it up and figured out it was built in 2013 (was thinking it was newer when I bought it because it's in good shape).

All you need do is send an email to Taylor with the serial number and they'll tell you all you want to know about the build. Don't forget to register as the owner too. That means you'll get a subscription to Wood&Steel as well as protecting you in case it gets stolen.

In_Tune

« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2021, 07:55:00 AM »

All you need do is send an email to Taylor with the serial number and they'll tell you all you want to know about the build. Don't forget to register as the owner too. That means you'll get a subscription to Wood&Steel as well as protecting you in case it gets stolen.

Cool, thanks!