Author Topic: 4-Piece Adirondack Tops  (Read 1717 times)

Romo

4-Piece Adirondack Tops
« on: July 03, 2024, 10:45:11 PM »
I am thinking about purchasing a new 814ce Builder’s Edition with the 4-piece Adirondack top. I love the punch and projection of Adirondack.

Since 4-piece tops are new to Taylor, I’m just checking to see if anyone has heard of any issues with these tops?

Thanks for any input you can share.  :)

Earl

• Veteran Member
  • Quando omni flunkus moritati
Re: 4-Piece Adirondack Tops
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2024, 10:38:34 AM »
No direct experience, but I don't think Taylor is totally unfamiliar with four-piece tops.  The koa series has used them and maybe some of the GS Mini's, IIRC.  There is no inherent difference between two and four-piece tops really, and putting multiple small pieces together allows a better use of premium wood.  It is probably inevitable that multi-piece tops will become the norm in the future.  The Martin D-35 has a three-piece back simply to use up Brazilian Rosewood during the transition period to EIR back in 1969.  They had pieces that were good wood but not wide enough to be half of a guitar back.  So they made three-piece backs, and still do in that model.

I can even imagine that similar discussions once took place when giant old growth trees became too scarce to have one-piece tops, especially as the guitars got larger than parlor size, ie: dreadnought and jumbo bodies.
Taylors:  424-LTD (all koa) and a 114ce that lives with friends in Alaska.  Low maintenance carbon fiber guitars are my "thing" these days, but I will always keep the koa 424.  Several ukulele and bass guitars too. 
*Gone but not forgotten:  a 2001 414ce, 410, 354-LTD twelve string, 314-N, 416-LTD baritone, T5 Classic, 615ce, 2006 GS-K, 1996 (first year) Baby

Edward

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2024, 01:15:49 PM »
Sorry, no personal experience with my own ears.  Multi-piece backs have been around for a lonnnng time.  It was only a matter of time before tops started shipping with more than two pieces.  The diff between 1-piece top (and how rare is that?!!!) and a two piece which has been the norm for eons is a non-issue, so I can't see a 3+ piece top being a sonic deal breaker. 

Aesthetics and people's attitudes are wholly different: witness the blowback Taylor got years ago when offering "streaked" ebony boards, and the usual suspects all derided it as a "marketing ploy" and obvious bow to using substandard materials above quality to maximize profit.  Now look at who's offering "figured" ebony, LOL!  Ain't perception grand! :D

Bottom line: if at all possible, play a guit and judge it for its individual voice and playability, not for its paper specs; no one hears paper.  But if buying online, at least Taylor is unmatched in its consistency and QC so that may offer some semblance of confidence.  :D

Edward

Guitars44me

• Live Long, tune up often, and Play Pretty
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2024, 12:29:11 PM »
Sorry, no personal experience with my own ears.  Multi-piece backs have been around for a lonnnng time.  It was only a matter of time before tops started shipping with more than two pieces.  The diff between 1-piece top (and how rare is that?!!!) and a two piece which has been the norm for eons is a non-issue, so I can't see a 3+ piece top being a sonic deal breaker. 

Aesthetics and people's attitudes are wholly different: witness the blowback Taylor got years ago when offering "streaked" ebony boards, and the usual suspects all derided it as a "marketing ploy" and obvious bow to using substandard materials above quality to maximize profit.  Now look at who's offering "figured" ebony, LOL!  Ain't perception grand! :D

Bottom line: if at all possible, play a guit and judge it for its individual voice and playability, not for its paper specs; no one hears paper.  But if buying online, at least Taylor is unmatched in its consistency and QC so that may offer some semblance of confidence.  :D

Edward

I agree with Edward, again!  Haha
Sonics should be fine. IMO objections will be esthetics based.  But I would not let it dissuade me if the instrument sounds and feels good!
Cheers
Paul

Edward

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2024, 11:35:01 AM »
I gotta confess my absolute bow to aesthetics, though.  I know I'm not supposed to let "looks" affect my guitar judgments, but I absolutely do, admittedly.  But it often depends on the price of the gear.  For example, if it's a "lower-cost" guitar (however one defines that) I will accept less than ideal if it sounds/plays great.  Not so if spending "serious" gear money.  Fwiw, there was a discussion on that "other" forum about "runout" on a guitar top.  Of course there is no sonic detriment, but paying high dollar for a top that looks like a cheap import I had in 1979 is a hard no-go ...for me.  Just my own musings --and shallowness-- mind you.  Rock on, all ...enjoy the music with smiles and friends as that really is what counts! :D

Edward

ScottSD

« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2024, 12:58:14 PM »
I agree with Edward,

Guitars I choose to own are not only musical instruments, they are works of art. 

For Taylor's flagship models, which I define as 700 series and above, they need stick with the time honored materials and techniques.  They have plenty of lower models to introduce new stuff.   Some day, in the distant future, you can envision 4 piece tops being standard with folks getting tweaked out of shape by new "Six piece tops". That day's not today.

Scott

Guitars44me

• Live Long, tune up often, and Play Pretty
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2024, 12:42:40 PM »
History….  Taylor has a history of introducing innovations on their high end models.

The GS started just after the R.Taylor style one.  Same size…

Bevels started on the high end, etc.

There will be zero sonic effect from the four piece tops.

But they will get a lot of griping, I expect. Folks will listen and decide for themselves

Cheers

Paul

Romo

« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2024, 08:55:30 PM »
A side thought:  I noticed that the 814ce Builder’s Edition (with the 4 piece Adirondack top) also comes in a top that is painted black. Wondering if the painted top is an effort to camouflage pieces of Adirondack that didn’t blend well together aesthetically with a clear finish?   

Earl

• Veteran Member
  • Quando omni flunkus moritati
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2024, 09:42:39 AM »
It's possible that the color covers some aesthetic issues.  I owned a 615ce jumbo that was black with white binding (very sharp looking) and wondered if the top was cosmetically challenged.  Looking inside with a mirror there was nothing obvious.  For a Builder's Edition, my guess is that Taylor would choose the best wood anyway, even if it is to be painted or covered with a sunburst.  If the paint is hiding some sub-par cosmetic issue, it is doubtful this would affect sound or structural integrity.
Taylors:  424-LTD (all koa) and a 114ce that lives with friends in Alaska.  Low maintenance carbon fiber guitars are my "thing" these days, but I will always keep the koa 424.  Several ukulele and bass guitars too. 
*Gone but not forgotten:  a 2001 414ce, 410, 354-LTD twelve string, 314-N, 416-LTD baritone, T5 Classic, 615ce, 2006 GS-K, 1996 (first year) Baby