Author Topic: Upgraded tuner photos  (Read 271 times)

quickpickinfunstrummin

Upgraded tuner photos
« on: September 17, 2024, 01:59:24 PM »
Greetings all...I have just jumped back in to the forum and thought I'd invite a thread on updating tuners.

Recently found the 1:21 Gotoh 510s with wood buttons and bought two sets. One set went on this 2018 Walnut beauty.

Anyone doing upgrades and want to share?

2014 326ce-K FLTD (Koa)
2013 456ce FLTD (Sitka/Rosewood)
2013 516e FLTD (European Spruce/Figured Mahogany)
Epiphone 1979 NV245, 12 string

Earl

• Veteran Member
  • Quando omni flunkus moritati
Re: Upgraded tuner photos
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2024, 10:02:13 AM »
Just so you know you are not being ignored....  this forum has been pretty quiet lately.  I don't change tuning machines unless it is necessary, but those look good.  There is something nice and organic about woodfen buttons.  Gotoh 510's came on my Emerald carbon fiber guitars (Cosmo black) and they are wonderful.  I will not use anything else going forward.

And welcome back.
Taylors:  424-LTD (all koa) and a 114ce that lives with friends in Alaska.  Low maintenance carbon fiber guitars are my "thing" these days, but I will always keep the koa 424.  Several ukulele and bass guitars too. 
*Gone but not forgotten:  a 2001 414ce, 410, 354-LTD twelve string, 314-N, 416-LTD baritone, T5 Classic, 615ce, 2006 GS-K, 1996 (first year) Baby

Edward

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2024, 11:28:10 AM »
Hey quickpickin,

I have two T's that came with Gotoh 510s.  These spoiled me so much I ended up replacing the stock Pings (which are perfectly fine, of course) with the gotohs on three other Taylors, even on my 210!  Every guit that has these Gotohs, tuning more precise: the super smooth feel and complete absence of gear lash make them worth the price of admission IMO.  While not a "need," it is certainly a luxury that offers a distinct functional gain! :)

For anyone contemplating this upgrade, it's easy/straightforward.  Drill a small pilot hole for each screw, use tape on the bit to ensure you have the correct depth as you certainly don't want to accidently go through!  Go slow, look carefully at the position of each tuner before you commit to drilling, and use common sense and you'll be fine.  :)

Edward
« Last Edit: September 18, 2024, 11:31:27 AM by Edward »

quickpickinfunstrummin

« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2024, 03:13:23 PM »
Just so you know you are not being ignored....  this forum has been pretty quiet lately.  I don't change tuning machines unless it is necessary, but those look good.  There is something nice and organic about woodfen buttons.  Gotoh 510's came on my Emerald carbon fiber guitars (Cosmo black) and they are wonderful.  I will not use anything else going forward.

And welcome back.

That's kind of you to note that things have been quiet. I do love that cosmo black finish. I have only one more Taylor on which to change tuners and my main interest in doing so is the slightly finer tuning ratio you get with the Gotoh vs the Taylor stock ones. How do the carbon fiber guitars sound to you? I've never heard one yet.
2014 326ce-K FLTD (Koa)

quickpickinfunstrummin

« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2024, 03:17:31 PM »
Hey quickpickin,

I have two T's that came with Gotoh 510s.  These spoiled me so much I ended up replacing the stock Pings (which are perfectly fine, of course) with the gotohs on three other Taylors, even on my 210!  Every guit that has these Gotohs, tuning more precise: the super smooth feel and complete absence of gear lash make them worth the price of admission IMO.  While not a "need," it is certainly a luxury that offers a distinct functional gain! :)

For anyone contemplating this upgrade, it's easy/straightforward.  Drill a small pilot hole for each screw, use tape on the bit to ensure you have the correct depth as you certainly don't want to accidently go through!  Go slow, look carefully at the position of each tuner before you commit to drilling, and use common sense and you'll be fine.  :)

Edward

Excellent guidance, and pretty much how I did this little surgery. Scary sometimes to hold a drill to my Taylor's head, but I feel these are world class guitars--even the less expensive ones. And so they deserve even finer components. They feel nice in your hand, as you wrote Edward...smooooooth.
2014 326ce-K FLTD (Koa)

Earl

• Veteran Member
  • Quando omni flunkus moritati
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2024, 04:09:52 PM »
How do the carbon fiber guitars sound to you? I've never heard one yet.

I've been a big fan of carbon fiber for 23 years now, starting with my first Rainsong.  I have not bought a new wooden guitar since 2014.  CF sounds different but quite good in its own way.  I often say that the difference is like any other tone wood.  For example, mahogany/cedar top sounds quite different than rosewood/spruce top.  There is no specific "CF sound".  Just as a Taylor sounds different than a Martin, each builder has a tonal palette.  I really like being free from humidity and temperature worries.  Over the years I have owned ten Taylor guitars and several Martin models.  Only one Taylor remains in all koa (a weak spot for me).  All the others are gone now.

Unfortunately we are now down to only two active CF builders:  McPherson in Wisconsin and Emerald in Ireland.  Emerald only sells factory direct so you won't see a new one in any shop anywhere in the world.  They are very good with returns and have an Ambassador program where you might be able to find someone near you to try out their personal guitar (like me).  You can find the McPherson Sable (a GA size body) or the Touring (travel size) at some retailers around the country.  Rainsong has closed, Composite Acoustics was closed by Peavey at least four years ago.  Leviora in Germany has stopped CF production, and Blackbird had a huge fire that destroyed their factory last December.  They are not yet operating again but are trying to recover.  There are some "carbon adjacent" imports that are considerably cheaper but the QC tends to track with the price.  I say "carbon adjacent" because they are often injection-molded plastic maybe with some carbon fibers added to the mix.
Taylors:  424-LTD (all koa) and a 114ce that lives with friends in Alaska.  Low maintenance carbon fiber guitars are my "thing" these days, but I will always keep the koa 424.  Several ukulele and bass guitars too. 
*Gone but not forgotten:  a 2001 414ce, 410, 354-LTD twelve string, 314-N, 416-LTD baritone, T5 Classic, 615ce, 2006 GS-K, 1996 (first year) Baby