Author Topic: GS mini- anybody ever gig or do worship with one?  (Read 5222 times)

beachbum205

• <><
GS mini- anybody ever gig or do worship with one?
« on: March 01, 2012, 08:10:57 PM »
Going to be playing at a Praise and Worship festival March 9 with a buddy- just wondering if I should use my GS mini or not.  It just is so much fun to play.  But would it look odd to play a small "travel guitar" for that occasion?  Or have some of you done it with good results?  Just wondering.

Also would welcome ES Go opinions- just ordered one from Sweetwater- anxious to see how it sounds.  If you have one, how do you like it?

Thanks!
8) Beachbum
Taylor 510e
Taylor 110ce
Martin D-35

<>< Psalm 33.3

S MS Picker

• Veteran Member
Re: GS mini- anybody ever gig or do worship with one?
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2012, 08:22:05 PM »
Used that set-p through a LR Baggs Gig Pro,to PA at an open mic. Everyone said it sounded great. Sold the dang thing before I left. 25% profit, it was history. ;)
Steve
"99 414
2000 410Ce
"05 214
"06 410CE (short scale)
"10 814CE-LTD(fall)
"11 414CE-LTD(fall)
"11 412CE
"12 Custom GS  Adi/Hog

-other-
"12 Eastman E20D
"? Silvertone (Sears) 2 lipstick tube PU electric

Justiceandmercy

« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2012, 10:14:44 PM »
I have one that a friend borrowed for a worship service at church a few weeks ago, he wasn't leading, only playing acoustic behind the lead vocalist... I wasn't there for that service but he thought it was great, and another person that was there told me it sounded good plugged in there as well, and it only has the ES-go pickup that was run thru a DI box into the pa system

cotten

« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2012, 02:03:25 AM »
...But would it look odd to play a small "travel guitar" for that occasion?...
I don't have a Mini, but if I did I wouldn't worry about it's looking odd. Sure, people who are accustomed to seeing something else might wonder a bit, but first things first. If you like the sound and the feel, by all means use it, wherever you like. From my limited experience and what I've read, the ES Go does exactly what it is supposed to do. Go for it!

cotten
Soli Deo Gloria

Ahorsewithnoname

• Ohio/Florida
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2012, 06:29:58 PM »
I did not like the pick up in mine at all!  A friend has one with a ust and it sounded great.  I would think the knk would sound good as well.
Martin OM28
Taylor 324
Taylor 214ce DLX

dougboy1970

« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2012, 06:34:16 PM »
I just got my GS Mini Mahogany a couple of weeks ago and haven't had the chance to play it in worship yet, but I have played it through my LR Baggs Para DI to my Soloamp and it sounds pretty good.  With the DI I can eq so that helps.  I've been adding quite a bit of low-end to it and it definitely brings a good sound that way. I sort of wish I didn't get the ESGo pickup and had a K&K installed, but overall it sounds great and I'm certain others will think yours sounds great as well...

michaelw

• Veteran Member
  • with more frivolous trivia than most infomercials
    • i agree with Fred
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2012, 06:59:34 PM »
...But would it look odd to play a small "travel guitar" for that occasion?...
I don't have a Mini, but if I did I wouldn't worry about it's looking odd. Sure, people who are accustomed to seeing something else might wonder a bit, but first things first. If you like the sound and the feel, by all means use it, wherever you like. From my limited experience and what I've read, the ES Go does exactly what it is supposed to do. Go for it!

cotten
Steve posted a pic of his friend Holt Webb playing Steve's GS Mini Proto

keith urban sometimes plays a less than full size acoustic
http://guitarboutiqueonline.shopping.officelive.com/images/keithurban01_200px.jpg
i agree with John - ' if you like the sound & the feel, by all mean use it, wherever you like.'

using some type of off-board pre-amp/EQ should  be able to help take some of the
'magnetic edge' off, which can  happen with a passive mag pickup, if the guitar is
aggressively strummed & the levels are high (in a full-band situation, for example)

it's not about what you play,
it's all about why you play ...

support indie musicians
https://www.patreon.com/sidecarjudy
https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/the-jessica-malone-music-project#/

postediting

« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2012, 05:25:08 PM »
For similar playing contexts, I usually have a Taylor 312ce, but have been in a few situations over past 6 months where I even used my Baby Taylor BT2 for this same need.  Nothing to be ashamed about.

I've been thinking for the past few months of upgrading from the BT2 to a GS Mini with ES Go since I often go by train and bus on Sundays and have guitar + very portable keyboard + backpack with laptop and survival kit equipment.
New addition to the kit is a pedal page flipper for the laptop. It makes a significant difference in using the PPT slides with chords.  Much smoother for playing/singing.

Jeff

Captain Jim

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2012, 11:36:15 PM »
Yeah, I've used it to play in public - I like the GSmini...

Sounded good with the ES-Go; I got plenty of compliments.

Earlier this week, I had occasion to play with some new friends: one with a 414ce, another with a dobro, another with a banjolin, and me with my GSmini.  Just acoustic (not plugged in) and the GSmini sounded great with the other instruments - plenty loud and rich.

Best wishes,
Captain Jim
2014 Taylor 522ce 12-fret
2012 Taylor 814ce
2006 Taylor T-5
2011 Taylor GSmini
2013 Rainsong Shorty SG-FLE
Gibson ES-335-TDC (1965)
Bose L1 Compact
Roland Cube-ST
Fishman Loudbox Mini

Captain Jim

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2012, 02:20:36 PM »
For similar playing contexts, ...

I've been thinking for the past few months of upgrading from the BT2 to a GS Mini with ES Go since I often go by train and bus on Sundays and have guitar + very portable keyboard + backpack with laptop and survival kit equipment.
New addition to the kit is a pedal page flipper for the laptop. It makes a significant difference in using the PPT slides with chords.  Much smoother for playing/singing.

Jeff

My emphasis above.  I gotta get out more.   ;)  I had not heard of a pedal page flipper, so I checked it out... very interesting.  I am one who doesn't play a song in public unless I know it... OK, on a couple occasions I have used a piece of paper to help me remember some words.  There are about a gazillion more songs I could do... if I had chords and words in front of me.  Hmmmm.   :)

Best wishes,
Captain Jim
2014 Taylor 522ce 12-fret
2012 Taylor 814ce
2006 Taylor T-5
2011 Taylor GSmini
2013 Rainsong Shorty SG-FLE
Gibson ES-335-TDC (1965)
Bose L1 Compact
Roland Cube-ST
Fishman Loudbox Mini