Author Topic: So whats all the hub bub over the GS mini  (Read 28001 times)

mgap

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
So whats all the hub bub over the GS mini
« on: March 09, 2012, 01:27:48 PM »
I have been wanting a guitar that I would not mind taking out to the camp fire and Rv traveling.  Something I don't mind letting someone I don't know play it, or just in the kind of situation that your not sure if you should or not. 

I have heard some good things about the GS mini, and have even played one briefly at a shop, I like the way they sound.  The other option is the 100 series for full size, of course that is one of the reasons for considering the mini is the easy to travel size.

What is your opinion?  Or do you have a alternative traveler you would suggest.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2012, 04:08:17 PM by mgap »
He who loses money, loses much; he who loses a friend, loses more; he who loses faith, loses all.

dougboy1970

Re: So whats all the hub bub over the GS mini
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2012, 02:00:54 PM »
I recently purchased one and reviewed it on YouTube, you can see it here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=klMWHCxYHt8

What it is:

Amazing travel guitar
Lite-weight, easily transportable
Great backpack gig bag (in the bag lighter than some laptops!)
Plenty of volume for a travel guitar
Actually stays in tune

What it's not:

A full sized guitar
All solid wood - the back and sides are laminate sapele
Even though its volume and tone is far better than any other travel guitar I've heard/played, it's still not a full-sized solid wood guitar.

Advice: If you're going to get the ES GO pickup, give it a try first.  Many people don't like it.  You may consider having a K&K or LR Baggs pickup installed instead.

Saxacat

• Veteran Member
  • Northumberland, England.
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2012, 02:13:05 PM »
I'm in the market for a travel guitar and quite fancy a GS Mini; but, I don't know if I can justify spending that level of money. I've tried one and it sounded nice, but I'd like to try some of the others on the market, Yamaha, Takamine etc,,, they are much less expensive, just need to see how they sound.
Taylor GA-Ke
Yamaha LL16
Taylor GS Mini Mahogany
Yamaha SLG100s

More money than ability.

Edward

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2012, 02:27:34 PM »
You are going to get lots of opinions on the GSm.  And most will be typical glowingly positive, if not gushy.  Fine.  But since you asked: I think they are good guitars and fulfill a nice little niche in the market.  But frankly I do not understand what reads like uber love for these.  Look at post after post, folks love them.  Again, fine with me; but I just personally don't "get it."  FWIW, I've seen more and more pop up in various classifeds so my guess is some folks were swept in with the novelty and/or glowing reviews ...then bought one and said "ok, it's a guitar."  Just my guess, mind you.  and while not slamming a good guit, I would not go out of the way to own one, personally.  Now used at a good price... ;)

Edward

BigSkyTaylorPlayer

• Veteran Member
  • Are we there yet.....
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2012, 02:57:59 PM »
It's a nice, small sized guitar at a good price point.  Sure there are less expensive ones out there but the Mini has the Taylor sound and is LOUD.  I bought it so I can take it out and travel to Montana with it - even named it Monty  ;D

You may want to wait, I saw there may be some LTDs coming.........and they looked gorgeous!!!

cjd-player

• Veteran Member
  • Near Pittsburgh, PA
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2012, 03:03:10 PM »
I've played a couple and they sound o.k., but the narrow nut and very short scale are turnoffs to me.

For less or the same money you can get a Voyage-Air guitar, with the folding neck.  That gives you a small travel package, and then a full-size guitar when you open it up to play.

With the NT technology as a foundation, I would think that Taylor could easliy make a user-friendly removable-neck travel guitar.   Based upon all of the talk on guitar forums, the market for travel guitars seems to be growing.
Carl
2010 BTO GC, Redwood on EI Rosewood
2010 312ce, kept in DADGAD
2006 814ce LTD, Sitka on Mad Rosewood
2013 Composite Acoustics OX-Raw

aRJedi

« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2012, 04:04:17 PM »
I love mine. I take it to work everyday and play during my lunch. Actually I take it with me whenever I leave the house and just leave it in the car. I like having a guitar always be there in case I end up in a situation where I need one. At home it's always within reach in case I get the inspiration to play.

rcoolz

• Its all about Jesus Christ !!
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2012, 06:34:16 PM »
I bought  a gs mini  2 weeks ago   .  I only have owned dreads  .... after playing  one at a friends I found it to be a nice couch guitar, to just lay back and play.....If I try that with a dread  I end up in some  pretty weird  positions  that look like I might need a chiropractor !      " so honestly  dear I had to buy it for MEdICAL reasons"".........sounds reasonable to me  rcoolz
1995  Taylor 810.....2003.Taylor 410       1997 Martin.DR,,,,,,,2007  blueridge BR  60,,,,,,1937 Gibson mandolin   Hand made custom mandolin.  from K C uller

bo1142

• Knoxville, TN
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2012, 07:40:07 PM »
I love mine!  Bought it as a travel guitar, and catch myself playing it more than my others most days, mainly because I keep it out of its case, unlike the others.  It is not a full size guitar, but it does the job, especially on the road.  I'm even in the market for one of the LTD's coming out this month.
Boone

My Taylor's:
2001 614ce
2007 GC6e
2008 K24ce
2011 814ce
2011 GSmini w/es-go

My other:
2002 Yamaha FG433s
2003 Fender Strat MIM
2005 Fender P Bass
2011 Mogan Monroe MMS-2 mandolin
2011 Makai LK-80w ukelele

sstaylor58

« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2012, 09:24:29 PM »
I just bought a mahogany mini last week...I love the 512 ltd all hog I have and thought the hog mini would be a fun guitar to play around the campfire or on the couch, while keeping my "prize" 512 safe...well, I have been playing it for a week, and I have to say I am very, very impressed with the tone and playability.  It is not a full size but it is really, really close, the GS body shape works wonders on a this small cannon.  I am very happy with it, and see it being a long term friend, a guitar I pull out to play because it sounds wonderful, not because it fills a niche.  I can say without hesitation that the GS mini mahogany is a keeper!
Taylor 314ce
Taylor GS Mini Mahogany
Martin Custom OM-15
Yamaha FSX730SC
Yamaha FSX800C

dougboy1970

« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2012, 09:25:13 PM »
You are going to get lots of opinions on the GSm.  And most will be typical glowingly positive, if not gushy.  Fine.  But since you asked: I think they are good guitars and fulfill a nice little niche in the market.  But frankly I do not understand what reads like uber love for these.  Look at post after post, folks love them.  Again, fine with me; but I just personally don't "get it."  FWIW, I've seen more and more pop up in various classifeds so my guess is some folks were swept in with the novelty and/or glowing reviews ...then bought one and said "ok, it's a guitar."  Just my guess, mind you.  and while not slamming a good guit, I would not go out of the way to own one, personally.  Now used at a good price... ;)

Edward

I wonder if the "uber love" comes from the fact that the guitar exceeds expectations, i.e. you expect a small travel guitar to be quite limited in tone and volume, and then you get something that's LOUD with decent tone.  Even though the GS mini does NOT sound better than most ANY full-sized Taylor, it produces so much more volume and tone that expected that people get a little amped.  I'll admit I've been one of those people.  No, it's not my GS8 by a long shot, but to pull out and sit on the couch, where as alluded to by another poster, it's lot easier to handle makes it a nice addition.  Not to mention the shorter scale is making me create in a whole new way...you venture up the neck more when it's not such a far distance away!  Also, people who generally can't afford a full-sized Taylor can get a little closer than before with the mini, as it definitely is an improvement over the baby and big baby, at least IMO.

There are negatives: 1) the es-go sounds a little tinny and cheap, 2) if you use it live, it'll be a big drop off from your main Taylor, and 3) it's a laminate, etc. but overall, you feel you're getting a lot more guitar than its small package belies. 

This, IMHO, explains the craze over the GS Mini.

sachi

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2012, 11:31:36 PM »
I tried a mahogany top mini and it was remarkably nice. However, the best travel guitar IMO is a voyage-air. It's more compact (with that folding neck) and it has excellent sound, especially if you add a Colosi bone saddle.
Sachi

Kolaya Carmen, Trek parlor, Martin 000-28EC, Taylor GC-5 and 355.

Magazine

« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2012, 12:14:26 AM »
freakin love mine, I think everyone feels they have to have a second Taylor.  Thats the limit for me, I dont care to have 3.  I dont feel comfortable having two high end Taylors either.  They costs to much to really justify it (opinion).  But, the gs mini is an excellent 2nd Taylor. 

Pros: looks great, hog top, ebony fb and bridge, nt neck, sounds and plays better than any cheap traveler out there that I've tried (a few). 

« Last Edit: March 11, 2012, 04:06:08 PM by Magazine »

e8n

« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2012, 07:17:46 AM »
We bought a GSm about a year ago.  My wife traveled with it to Honduras last summer.  My observations would be as follows:

1) for a smaller guitar it sounds ok.
2) It fit in the overhead and never had to be checked. Her traveling companion checked her 214 all the way down.
3) it was convenient.  The soft case was quite nice and easy to carry around.
4) It does not sound anywhere near any full size guitar.  Because of this, it never got played outside of travel.
5) At the price point, it is still quite expensive for what you get.
6) If you are mainly traveling by car, it really doesn't save that much room to make it work the diff in sound.

We sold the GSm late last fall and the new owner was quite please because they flew quite a bit.  We have not missed it.  For those that tell you it sounds as good or better than anything beyond a Baby and possibly a big baby I would seriously question their tone judgement, it just doesn't.  For the same price you can fine a nice used 1xx or 2xx or an old beat up 3xx series, all of which sound more like a real guitar and you will enjoy playing more.

-Dave
2011 Taylor Custom GS (Adi/Rosewood)
2012 Taylor 814LTD Spring Limited
2008 Fender Telecaster
2010 Kentucky Mandolin

Guitars of the past: Alvarez AD60, 2007 Taylor 110ce, 2006 Taylor 710ce, Taylor 2008 GS Fall Ltd, 2010 Taylor 814ce, 2010 Taylor K26c,2010 Taylor Custom DN, Taylor 714ce

TaylorGirl

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
  • 7 Mountain Dulcimers!
« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2012, 12:16:31 PM »
I'll be quick and to the point.
For me, it sounds great, feels good in my hands, and travels perfectly with me in our motorhome. It's also my "go to" guitar at home. It fits my needs to a tee.  ;D  (plus, it was a surprise gift from my hubby  :-*)
Susie
Taylors: 914 ◎ K24ce ◎ 414 ◎ GSMeK+
Ponos: ABD-6C Master Series (Cedar/Acacia) ◎ MGBD-6 Deluxe (Mango) ◎ MB-6 (Mahogany)

Have been finger-pickin' guitar since 1973!