Author Topic: So whats all the hub bub over the GS mini  (Read 28002 times)

mgap

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
Re: So whats all the hub bub over the GS mini
« Reply #30 on: April 04, 2012, 02:07:01 PM »
It is not very common to find a guitar with a solid top, tuners that hold tune, a perfect straight neck, a real gig bag, awesome fretwork, a wonderful playability in that price range.

All good reasons why I pulled the trigger on a 2012 LTD.

Congratulations - which one did you get, & when's delivery?

I have on order a maple GS Mini.  However I will actually be able to choice which one I want when they get their allotment of 9 in,  3 of each wood style
« Last Edit: April 06, 2012, 08:13:45 AM by mgap »
He who loses money, loses much; he who loses a friend, loses more; he who loses faith, loses all.

BigSkyTaylorPlayer

• Veteran Member
  • Are we there yet.....
« Reply #31 on: April 04, 2012, 03:24:48 PM »
A maple mini........... :-*

mgap

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #32 on: April 04, 2012, 06:15:57 PM »
yes!  They are offering them in Maple, Blackwood, and Rosewood. 
He who loses money, loses much; he who loses a friend, loses more; he who loses faith, loses all.

revster

« Reply #33 on: April 05, 2012, 12:28:29 PM »
what have people heard about the tone of the blackwood. it is one I am not familiar with, and on a mini how would it sound?

Maynard9089

« Reply #34 on: April 05, 2012, 12:57:52 PM »
All the LTDs will sound the same because they are laminates. I am going this afternoon to see about a GS Mini for my wife. I have never held one so I am excited to try it out myself.
2012 Taylor 414ce
2013 Taylor GS-Mini Mahogany

mgap

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #35 on: April 05, 2012, 01:18:46 PM »
All the LTDs will sound the same because they are laminates

Well that is what I have heard as well.  The dealer I have ordered from said there might a small difference, but that is all

flyingace71

• burnett guitars blog
« Reply #36 on: April 05, 2012, 01:36:22 PM »
I played the Mahogany topped one at my dealer, I think it sounded much different from the spruce, personally. everything I'd expect from a hog top, warm and a little darker.

I don't know what the other woods would sound like though. :(
2007 Taylor GC5e
Kala Acacia Tenor Ukulele
Fender Guitars & Amps
Korg & Roland Keyboards

Kevin A

« Reply #37 on: April 05, 2012, 08:32:46 PM »

Well that is what I have heard as well.  The dealer I have ordered from said there might a small difference, but that is all
So one can hear a difference between laminate sandwiched between ultra-thin maple, blackwood or rosewood veneers? Impressive...I remain a bit skeptical, however.  ;)

Kevin

flaggerphil

• Florida Space Coast
« Reply #38 on: April 06, 2012, 12:08:00 AM »
I bought a Mini M last month and love it so much it replaced my CA Cargo as my travel guitar.  I've already taken it on a cruise and a charter trip I took with my wife, and it will be going to all my races.  I love the sound and playability...to me it's as close to the perfect travel guitar as I've been able to come.

I waited until the mahogany version came out because I thought the spruce model sounded a little thin.  I'm glad I did...to me the mahogany model sounds much better.  One of my better guitar purchases, IMHO.
Phil

Playing guitar badly since 1964.

2006 R.Taylor Style 1 Redwood/Walnut
2016 Taylor 710e SS
2013 Taylor 528e
2003 Taylor 600-SPEC
2002 Taylor 510-LTD
2010 Taylor GS Mini-M
2006 Taylor T5-C Cocobolo
2015 Taylor T5z Classic
1937 A-Style Mandolin
Kala SMHT Ukulele
Kala SMHTC-E Ukulele

dougboy1970

« Reply #39 on: April 06, 2012, 08:16:12 AM »
I bought a Mini M last month and love it so much it replaced my CA Cargo as my travel guitar.  I've already taken it on a cruise and a charter trip I took with my wife, and it will be going to all my races.  I love the sound and playability...to me it's as close to the perfect travel guitar as I've been able to come.

I waited until the mahogany version came out because I thought the spruce model sounded a little thin.  I'm glad I did...to me the mahogany model sounds much better.  One of my better guitar purchases, IMHO.

phil, I totally agree!

michaelw

• Veteran Member
  • with more frivolous trivia than most infomercials
    • i agree with Fred
« Reply #40 on: April 06, 2012, 12:43:53 PM »

So one can hear a difference between laminate sandwiched between ultra-thin maple, blackwood or rosewood veneers? Impressive...I remain a bit skeptical, however.  ;)

Kevin
from the mini's i've played/acquired (tried about a dozen & pulled the trigger on 2),
i think that most  of the tonal difference can be accounted for in variances between guitars

when comparing the DDX (with maple veneers & maple neck) & a 214ce (rosewood outer/sapele inner veneers &
sapele neck), the DDX had a very  audible difference to my ear with crisper, more 'defined' overall response

this year, the nut & saddle changes from Tusq to NuBone & the 200 series adds a rosewood inner veneer -
i have yet to play a 200 with rosewood inner veneer, as the 214ce sunburst i've tried has a sapele 'inner'

the tonal variance on the mini MA could  have been accentuated a bit more, if the
neck was made of maple as well & if nothing else, imho, it would have made that LTD
model stand out more, but perhaps the density of maple & the scheduling change that
would need to be implemented for neck production was not desirable or feasible -
it would be cool to see the maple become a regular production model for a while,
like the BT3 was, & seeing a maple neck on these would be pretty nice (i think)

a tasmanian blackwood top on a mini TB or a cedar on a RW woud be sweet :D
almost  makes me want to try to pick up a couple & take a shot at doing
a 'top-swap' or if i could find some wood with similar coloration/grain,
perhaps a 'back-replacement' ...  maybe a 3 piece one, with lattice bracing ???

hmmm ;)
it's not about what you play,
it's all about why you play ...

support indie musicians
https://www.patreon.com/sidecarjudy
https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/the-jessica-malone-music-project#/

mgap

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #41 on: April 06, 2012, 02:13:15 PM »
the tonal variance on the mini MA could  have been accentuated a bit more, if the
neck was made of maple as well & if nothing else, imho, it would have made that LTD
model stand out more, but perhaps the density of maple & the scheduling change that
would need to be implemented for neck production was not desirable or feasible -
I totally agree!

it would be cool to see the maple become a regular production model for a while,

I hope not.  This would make the Limited not very special or limited.

michaelw

• Veteran Member
  • with more frivolous trivia than most infomercials
    • i agree with Fred
« Reply #42 on: April 06, 2012, 02:48:58 PM »
I totally agree!

I hope not.  This would make the Limited not very special or limited.
i think that if there were to be a GS Mini MA (GSm-3), that there could  be more
built than the LTD production run, which would make the GS Mini LTD more 'limited' -
perhaps there was a prototype or 2 made with a maple neck & sapele was preferable :-\

there have been many more sitka/walnut mahogany neck models made than these
http://taylorguitars.us/guitars/limiteds/Spring2010/Walnut400/

i've heard that on a BTO, a mahogany neck is an option on a maple guitar,
but a maple neck can only  be spec'd on a maple guitar .... wonder if this true ???
« Last Edit: April 06, 2012, 02:50:34 PM by michaelw »
it's not about what you play,
it's all about why you play ...

support indie musicians
https://www.patreon.com/sidecarjudy
https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/the-jessica-malone-music-project#/

cigarfan

• Veteran Member
  • If He comes today ...........are you ready?
    • I Ignite!
« Reply #43 on: April 07, 2012, 12:37:22 PM »

i've heard that on a BTO, a mahogany neck is an option on a maple guitar,
but a maple neck can only  be spec'd on a maple guitar .... wonder if this true ???

I have been working specs for a Ziricote GC BTO with Ted at L.A. Guitar (if and when they get some Ziri). I asked if he thought a maple neck would add anything and he indicated, although it is possible to request it, he would not suggest it. Haven't followed up to determine why but it certainly leads me to believe that Taylor would build it that way if requested.

Got your pics. Mulling it over. Only thing that makes me hesitate is the desire for a maple or blackwood LTD. You know me. I have this thing for the "look" of different woods in my collection. I'll get back with you later today.
Blackbird, Froggy Bottom, Gibson, Goodall, Hatcher,
Kanile'a, Kinnard, Kwasnycia, Martin, Rainsong,
Ryan, Santa Cruz, Taylor, Voyage Air, Weber

sachi

• Veteran Member
« Reply #44 on: April 07, 2012, 07:45:01 PM »
I have been working specs for a Ziricote GC BTO with Ted at L.A. Guitar (if and when they get some Ziri). I asked if he thought a maple neck would add anything and he indicated, although it is possible to request it, he would not suggest it. Haven't followed up to determine why but it certainly leads me to believe that Taylor would build it that way if requested.
The problem is that if Taylor uses a maple neck it has to share branding with Fender.

(that's a JOKE son.)
Sachi

Kolaya Carmen, Trek parlor, Martin 000-28EC, Taylor GC-5 and 355.