Author Topic: Why is Taylor so polarizing?  (Read 29714 times)

mcp

Re: Why is Taylor so polarizing?
« Reply #90 on: September 22, 2013, 07:51:43 PM »
This is an interesting read, I suppose we are all compelled by the hearding instict and lables to some degree. I'm looking at taylors for a 12 fret GA short scale, still i have to get over some notions about taylors and martins, if the 000 16gts were a short scale i'd be playing it now. I'm polarized, Mitch
« Last Edit: September 22, 2013, 07:56:32 PM by mcp »

mikeguywest

« Reply #91 on: October 17, 2013, 04:25:28 PM »
Taylor Guitars - The brand Martin players love to hate :D. All kidding aside, I see what might be called "polarization" to be the typical good natured razzing of the other guys. True there are some who unduly criticize the other guys, but for the most part I've just seen it as giving each other a hard time in fun. Taylor has been the up-and-coming newbie that is taking the acoustic world by storm. Considering how relatively new the TG company is (1974 wasn't THAT long ago!) they have accomplished some pretty outstanding feats. They have been innovating in every aspect of acoustic guitar building to the point that even Martin has taken notice (i.e. Grand Performance line). I kind of liken it to how us military vets razz the other branches. After all, the US Navy is so good the other guys won't leave us alone  ;D

rlj98

« Reply #92 on: October 31, 2013, 07:45:38 PM »
With the success of Taylor Guitars, maybe the question should be -- why is Martin so polarizing . . .        ;)
1978 Hohner HG320
Cordoba C7
2012 Taylor GS Mini Mahogany w/ GHS Laurence Juber PB strings
Taylor DN3   

Just me and some lonely wooden music floatin' through the air
The grass is rustlin' and the birds are singin' and my heart don't have a care
--Tom Johnston

joshsimpson79

« Reply #93 on: November 04, 2013, 02:26:31 PM »
Before I purchased my first Taylor I heard so much misinformation. People told me they were built too thin and were prone to cracking. Thank goodness I didn't listen!

I remember hearing that because a friend knew a guy who's Taylor fell over on stage and cracked.  As if only Taylors can do this.

It's like everyone above has stated.  Taylor thinks differently than some brands.  They are "new" in comparison to a brand like Martin.  They have a "modern" sound.  They are incredibly popular.  Once a company gets very popular, you will always have some trying to tear them down.

Same with cars, cell phones, clothes, etc.

Play what you like and let others play what they like.  Let's get along.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2015, 07:05:39 PM by UTGF-Team »
2022 GT Mahogany
2013 GS Mini-E Mahogany
Cordoba C5

joshsimpson79

« Reply #94 on: November 04, 2013, 02:29:09 PM »
Detractors may say what they want of Taylor, but they can never accuse them of "playing it safe."
Not that I am a detractor, but I do think that, considering the crowded guitar market and the dominance of Martin, Taylor's safest route to success actually is offering a product that is different from Martin's and convincing buyers that this new way is better. A smart move for sure, but safer than trying to compete with a traditional brand on its own terms.

As for why Taylor is polarizing, I think the main point is what has already been described: they emphasize technology, modernity and innovation in a market where many buyers value exactly the opposite. I also wonder how much Taylor's religious affiliation (real or perceived) has to do with it. They obviously have a lot of customers who like that, but I know for a fact that they do have some potential customers who are not crazy about it.

I've wondered about this.  Bob mentions going to church in his book, and I know in years past they market themselves in a worship magazine or so a signature model to a "Christian" group like Jars of Clay.  It's not as if they are bashing their customers over the head with it, or slapping Bible verses all over.
2022 GT Mahogany
2013 GS Mini-E Mahogany
Cordoba C5

mgap

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #95 on: November 04, 2013, 04:22:32 PM »
Detractors may say what they want of Taylor, but they can never accuse them of "playing it safe."
Not that I am a detractor, but I do think that, considering the crowded guitar market and the dominance of Martin, Taylor's safest route to success actually is offering a product that is different from Martin's and convincing buyers that this new way is better. A smart move for sure, but safer than trying to compete with a traditional brand on its own terms.

As for why Taylor is polarizing, I think the main point is what has already been described: they emphasize technology, modernity and innovation in a market where many buyers value exactly the opposite. I also wonder how much Taylor's religious affiliation (real or perceived) has to do with it. They obviously have a lot of customers who like that, but I know for a fact that they do have some potential customers who are not crazy about it.

I've wondered about this.  Bob mentions going to church in his book, and I know in years past they market themselves in a worship magazine or so a signature model to a "Christian" group like Jars of Clay.  It's not as if they are bashing their customers over the head with it, or slapping Bible verses all over.
, but I know for a fact that they do have some potential customers who are not crazy about it.
I suppose that those same people have conveniently dismissed all the other hoards of Taylor players that are not necessarily Christian, Like maybe Tony Iommi.  Taylor actually reaches out to all.  They are not afraid to let people know that they also reach out to Christians, which by the way tend to be a pretty musical group of people. 
He who loses money, loses much; he who loses a friend, loses more; he who loses faith, loses all.

Jersey tuning

• Veteran Member
  • Quid Me Anxius Sum
« Reply #96 on: November 11, 2013, 06:58:14 PM »
I can't imagine that the 500,000 Taylors guitars sold in the last 10 years went to disproportionate percentages of Christian guitarists.  No special blessings or dispensations are required to play Taylors in the synagogue. 

Voodooists might take exception.........................

Any anti-Taylor bias is probably based on NT neck, CNC and jealosy.
CURRENTLY PLAYING

'30 Martin 2-17 solid Mahogany
'97 Tacoma PK-30 Sitka/koa
'99 Alhambra 11C classical cedar/EIR
'05 TAYLOR 614ce 
'07 Breedlove Atlas 12-string Sitka/Mahogany
'10 Froggy Bottom "C" Adi/Brazilian   
'11 TAYLOR BTO GC 12-fret sinker/EIR.  
'14 Alvarez Baritone Sitka/Mahogany
'18 Cordoba hybrid Flamenco Euro Spruce/Ziricote
'23 M. Colbert Baritone Alaskan Sitka/Black Limba multiscale with Manzer wedge