Author Topic: Taylor Road Show!  (Read 9201 times)

Snydermerge

Taylor Road Show!
« on: April 22, 2012, 08:42:53 PM »
This may be the wrong part of the forum and if it is, please move and accept my apologies.  I'm going to my first Taylor Road Show Tuesday night!!!  Don't know what to expect and very excited.

That is all.
'08 Taylor GA8
PRS McCarty DGT
Martin D12X1AE
'14 Taylor T5Z
'73 Gibson Hummingbird
Rainsong H-WS1000N2

roadbiker

• Veteran Member
  • Member #100
    • jmaurophoto
Re: Taylor Road Show!
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2012, 09:30:16 PM »
Where?
1980 Guild D50 (Westerly), Antique Sunburst
2010 Epiphone Masterbilt AJ500R Acoustic/Electric
2010 Taylor GS Mini
2011 Taylor 814CE Acoustic/Electric
2015 Taylor 356ce
1975 Carlo Robelli SG Custom (Sam Ash model)
Fishman Loudbox Mini
VOX AGA70

www.jmaurophoto.com

BigSkyTaylorPlayer

• Veteran Member
  • Are we there yet.....
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2012, 07:58:22 AM »
You'll enjoy it, I've been to 2 so far and looking forward to going this year.  They will go over the different series and woods and answer any and all ques.  Best of all they let you play the items at the "petting zoo" during the break.

Get there early as you can talk with them while they are setting up.  There is usually a Taylor rep and a musician that will do the playing.

Let us know how it goes.

egkor

« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2012, 09:33:45 AM »
I believe it is a Sales event.  And also a great opportunity for Taylor hands-on and education. Especially the more exotic woods and tones.

-Gary K
Taylor- 614ce (2012), 315ce (2010)
Martin- DX1 (2009)

mgap

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2012, 09:50:11 AM »
I have attended one Road show event.  At Spotlight Music in Ft. Collins CO.  It was a great learning experience.  Excellent way to learn how they build Taylors and why they do what they do.
During the intermission I was a little put off because of the mad house atmosphere.  Everybody wanted to try every guitar in the house, had one person grab a guitar right out of my hands.  I was very interested in trying out a baritone 8 string but so many people wanted it that I finally got it for the last 2 minutes of the intermission. 

After giving you this dim view of the event I will go again the next time its in town.
He who loses money, loses much; he who loses a friend, loses more; he who loses faith, loses all.

Steve

• Veteran Member
    • Steve Parr Photography
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2012, 10:06:54 AM »
The "petting zoo" is a nightmare if you want to actually hear a guitar. It's just not conducive to that.

The "Find Your Fit" events are much better for that, and you can get one-on-one attention.

If I was seriously looking to buy a guitar, I would prefer to buy one at a FYF event...
No one has ever been on their death-bed wishing they'd been more practical...

DennisG

• Veteran Member
  • Veni Vidi Velcro: I came, I saw, I stuck around
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2012, 10:37:14 AM »
I've been to three road shows, and I think I've discovered the secret to being able to play the guitars undisturbed:  show up at least an hour early.  You'll not only get extended time with some great guitars, but you'll be able to throw your jacket on a chair up front and close to the action.
-------------------------------------
'21 Goodall GC - master redwood/Macassar ebony
'18 Taylor K14-BE
'18 Taylor 114e
'21 Taylor GT Urban Ash
'15 Martin uke

Steve

• Veteran Member
    • Steve Parr Photography
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2012, 11:09:33 AM »
I've been to three road shows, and I think I've discovered the secret to being able to play the guitars undisturbed:  show up at least an hour early.  You'll not only get extended time with some great guitars, but you'll be able to throw your jacket on a chair up front and close to the action.

Definitely a way to go.

If you do go early, though, keep in mind that the folks from Taylor will be busy setting up, and may not be able to take a great deal of time with you. They'll spend as much time as you want after the show (providing the store staff is cool with it), but the hours leading up to a Road Show are usually pretty hectic...

S MS Picker

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2012, 12:28:32 PM »
The first "RoadShow" I attended was called a Clinic. It featured Doyle Dykes,only. That was in "96 or "97. My older son won a Doyle Dykes instructional video. The last one I attended was in "07, featured Doyle Dykes and his daughter,only. I won 2 sets of Elixer Polywebs, which I promptly sold.
Steve
« Last Edit: November 15, 2012, 02:25:36 PM by UTGF-Team »
"99 414
2000 410Ce
"05 214
"06 410CE (short scale)
"10 814CE-LTD(fall)
"11 414CE-LTD(fall)
"11 412CE
"12 Custom GS  Adi/Hog

-other-
"12 Eastman E20D
"? Silvertone (Sears) 2 lipstick tube PU electric

michaelw

• Veteran Member
  • with more frivolous trivia than most infomercials
    • i agree with Fred
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2012, 12:59:28 PM »
hi Snyder,
i think you'll have a blast (i always thought they were a lot of fun, anyways) -
BTOs, demo's of shapes & wood types, brief run down on the ES/electrics &
there may be some spring LTDs there, as some stores have had them already

went  my first road show in 07 & we were the among the first to see
the solid body electrics (couldn't play, hear or plug 'em in though) -
attended another a couple years & am looking forward to the next one in a month

there is swag that is given away also (i've seen t-shirts, caps & strings) -
the store that held the last event that i went to also had elixirs available
for the same $, without the complimentary promotional sticker on 'em ;)
it's not about what you play,
it's all about why you play ...

support indie musicians
https://www.patreon.com/sidecarjudy
https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/the-jessica-malone-music-project#/

GtrgRrl

« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2012, 05:00:50 PM »
Like Steve said, showing up early for Roadshows can be tough on the people trying to get the show set up.  Be prepared for them not being able to spend time with you. 

Where I work, we like to have a Roadshow on a Wednesday or Thursday night and then follow it up with a Find-your-Fit event on the weekend.  It gives people a chance to be educated and hear a great player, think about what they learned for a few days and then come back with their questions and one-on-one service.   People seem to really like that we do it that way. 

“Music is a language that doesn’t speak in particular words. It speaks in emotions, and if it’s in the bones, it’s in the bones.”   Keith Richards

www.portlandmusiccompany.com

DennisG

• Veteran Member
  • Veni Vidi Velcro: I came, I saw, I stuck around
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2012, 05:11:21 PM »
As I mentioned, I've been to three road shows, and while it's true that the reps were busy getting things set up, in each case they were happy to let me play the guitars.  That was, after all, my original point.
-------------------------------------
'21 Goodall GC - master redwood/Macassar ebony
'18 Taylor K14-BE
'18 Taylor 114e
'21 Taylor GT Urban Ash
'15 Martin uke

Snydermerge

« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2012, 10:23:38 PM »
It's in Grapevine Texas tomorrow night. I'm really looking forward to it.  I've only been playing since December - I have a Takemine that I got cheap but I've fallen in love with the way the Taylor's look and sound.  I've ordered a Lmtd edition Mini GS (blackwood) to take with me on the road as I travel a bit with my job and as soon as I convince sweet wife that guitar is now a way of life, I'll upgrade the Takemine. 

I'll report back after the event.

Where?
'08 Taylor GA8
PRS McCarty DGT
Martin D12X1AE
'14 Taylor T5Z
'73 Gibson Hummingbird
Rainsong H-WS1000N2

Steve

• Veteran Member
    • Steve Parr Photography
« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2012, 10:27:32 PM »
The first "RoadShow" I attended was called a Clinic. It featured Doyle Dykes,only. That was in "96 or "97. My older son won a Doyle Dykes instructional video. The last one I attended was in "07, featured Doyle Dykes and his daughter,only. I won 2 sets of Elixer Polywebs, which I promptly sold.
Steve

The "Road Show", as a branded event, is a relatively recent thing.

There used to be "clinics", which would feature people like Doyle Dykes, Dan Crary, Beppe Gembetta, Pat Kirtley, Steven King or Chris Proctor. Those were mostly music, with the artists talking about guitars here and there.

Then there were "Restring Clinics". They're still done from time to time, but not nearly as often as they used to be held. They can be nightmarish, too, depending on how many people show up.

After that came the "Road Show". Originally, the Road Show incorporated a tech portion, and that made for a really nice, long evening. They dropped the tech portion and it helped to streamline things a bit, although trying to get a meaningful test-drive during the Petting Zoo still bordered on the comical.

Enter the "Find Your Fit" event. These began their life as simple sales events. Essentially, a FYF is like the Road Show Petting Zoo on steroids. If you're seriously looking to buy a guitar, this is the place to do it. Reps still bring some crazy BTO's out with them, but the environment is much better for trying out guitars...
« Last Edit: November 15, 2012, 02:25:54 PM by UTGF-Team »

Steve

• Veteran Member
    • Steve Parr Photography
« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2012, 10:29:35 PM »
It's in Grapevine Texas tomorrow night.

Tell JR Rogers I say hi..