Author Topic: Should the end-pin jack be moved?  (Read 3907 times)

DennisG

• Veteran Member
  • Veni Vidi Velcro: I came, I saw, I stuck around
Should the end-pin jack be moved?
« on: June 28, 2012, 08:52:52 PM »
My guitar was plugged in the other day, and I wanted to go do something, so I leaned it against a chair.  When I did that, I noticed that the guitar was sitting on the plug, and I heard some crackling.  It got me wondering:  would it make more sense for the jack to be located somewhere else, considering how many of us set our guitars down on the end pin to lean it against something?
-------------------------------------
'21 Goodall GC - master redwood/Macassar ebony
'18 Taylor K14-BE
'18 Taylor 114e
'21 Taylor GT Urban Ash
'15 Martin uke

cjd-player

• Veteran Member
  • Near Pittsburgh, PA
Re: Should the end-pin jack be moved?
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2012, 08:59:28 PM »
I like the end pin location for the jack better than any other.

I use a guitar stand if I'm not holding the guitar. 
With a Hercules stand, the cable never gets caught on the lower arms of the typical stands.
Carl
2010 BTO GC, Redwood on EI Rosewood
2010 312ce, kept in DADGAD
2006 814ce LTD, Sitka on Mad Rosewood
2013 Composite Acoustics OX-Raw

Captain Jim

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2012, 11:07:30 PM »
I use a V-Cable and have no issue with turning it off and unplugging/plugging in.  Also use a guitar stand, which keeps the guitar off the floor.
2014 Taylor 522ce 12-fret
2012 Taylor 814ce
2006 Taylor T-5
2011 Taylor GSmini
2013 Rainsong Shorty SG-FLE
Gibson ES-335-TDC (1965)
Bose L1 Compact
Roland Cube-ST
Fishman Loudbox Mini

oatordeal

• Veteran Member
  • Manila, Philippines
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2012, 11:13:30 PM »
besides, one of the reasons the jack is located at the end pin is that it prevents the guitar from getting another hole. i think if you try to move both though, it will be awkward standing up with a guitar strap. have an idea how to move it though?
Best regards,
Nims

814ce 2012
GS Mini Hog 2015
'52ri Fender Telecaster 2007

Judson H

• My Youtube music
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2012, 08:00:31 AM »
My Martin DCPA-4 has separated and off-set the jack about 2 inched away from the end pin ... I think this is true of all the Performing Artist Martins and it's a good idea in my humble opinion.
2012 Taylor GA3
2012 Martin D-18
2004 Seagull Artist Mosaic QII
2001 Simon & Patrick Cedar Folk
1967 Silvertone Sovereign 1220 Jumbo (my high school guitar)
Fishman Loudbox Mini and Shure SM58

Judson H

• My Youtube music
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2012, 08:04:40 AM »
My Martin DCPA-4 has separated and off-set the jack about 2 inched away from the end pin ... I think this is true of all the Performing Artist Martins and it's a good idea in my humble opinion.

2012 Taylor GA3
2012 Martin D-18

Edward

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2012, 09:06:35 AM »
The Martin solution is not bad ...some may prefer it.  But I definitely prefer the Taylor method for the simple reason that I don't want the potential tangling/interference of the strap and cable when performing.  With the cable plugged into the center of the strap pin, both the strap and cable are unencumbered from one another.

Edward

Judson H

• My Youtube music
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2012, 09:32:21 AM »
Yep, that's a valid point.  Most makes and models that I've seen actually do use the end pin as the jack for the pick-up ...

The Martin solution is not bad ...some may prefer it.  But I definitely prefer the Taylor method for the simple reason that I don't want the potential tangling/interference of the strap and cable when performing.  With the cable plugged into the center of the strap pin, both the strap and cable are unencumbered from one another.

Edward
2012 Taylor GA3
2012 Martin D-18

Steam

« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2012, 09:47:33 AM »
One nice extra about the jack in the end pin is that it keeps your strap from coming loose while you are standing and playing. 

oatordeal

• Veteran Member
  • Manila, Philippines
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2012, 11:33:45 PM »
even when the jack is located at the end pin, i always make it a point to put a loop around my strap before plugging the jack. that way it secures the strap even if it gets loose. PLUS, it keeps me from stepping the guitar chord while performing (mostly happens with an electric guitar though more than the acoustic).
Best regards,
Nims

814ce 2012
GS Mini Hog 2015
'52ri Fender Telecaster 2007

RGtheMusicGuy

« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2012, 06:54:22 PM »
I saw a kid one time with a guitar that had the jack on the side.  He walked off with it still plugged in and ripped the jack out of the guitar and left a huge hole in the side of his guitar. 

michaelw

• Veteran Member
  • with more frivolous trivia than most infomercials
    • i agree with Fred
« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2012, 12:43:44 AM »
a cable with a right angle end, or a stand to keep the output jack area off the ground would likely help -
leaning a guitar up against something could be a repair waiting to happen (i'd try to avoid doing that)

the 03-06 100/200 series with ES Blue & the DDSM have the output jack on the  lower treble bout side
of the guitar, which i believe would have some kind of reinforcement 'patch' on the inside of the guitar -
i see the potential of dings/scratches from the tip of the cable if one is trying to plug the guitar in 'by feel'

most aftermarket pickup utilize a cap that covers the threaded end & lock nut at the outer end of the output jack -
the tailblock seems like the ideal (most reinforced) area for it to be, for if the guitar were to fall with a cable
plugged into a side-mount output jack, the likelihood of the side sustaining damage or a crack is probably quite high

the martin power supply output jack assembly terminates at the very edge of the tail block close to the kerfing -
to me, that design seems to be a bit 'lacking' (the 9V battery carrier on the ES closes with a positive 'click')
whereas the battery door on the martin just covers the bare end of the battery (not a very stout piece, imho)

it's not about what you play,
it's all about why you play ...

support indie musicians
https://www.patreon.com/sidecarjudy
https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/the-jessica-malone-music-project#/

Satsuki

« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2012, 11:23:34 AM »
It would be simpler to use a guitar stand. It would keep your guitar and the end jack
off the floor.