Author Topic: How are you using a capo?  (Read 5918 times)

Captain Jim

• Veteran Member
How are you using a capo?
« on: July 20, 2012, 01:01:18 PM »
While reading the "What does your spouse think of your guitar habit" thread, it made me think about my day yesterday.  We are spending the summer on our boat on an island in the Pacific Northwest; getting to go "off island" is a treat once a month or so.  My birthday was Wednesday, we celebrated on Thursday because I was driving a whale watch boat on the B-Day.  We did the necessary shopping (storage is finite on a boat), had a great lunch out, and she asked me, "Didn't you want some do-dad for your guitar?"

"Yeah, a capo."

She quickly looked up a music store, called them to make sure they had guitars and stuff, and mapped it on her phone... it was pretty close by.  When we pulled up in front of the store, she said, "I'll wait here.  You go in; take your time... get whatever you want."

"Whatever I want??"

"Well, you know what we have for space... and budget," she added.

The store had plenty of guitars... well, they are obviously a big Fender dealer, but no Taylors.  I looked at the guitars on the wall, walked by some ukuleles (that could be fun), and made my way to the capos.  They had plenty to pick from.  I picked up a Planet Waves dual action that seemed decent.  There really wasn't anything I need... although they did have a couple used acoustic amps that seemed to well priced... no, Jim, no.

So, to get to the point: I've been playing guitar for about 45 years.  I used to do it for a living when I was younger.  I have never owned a capo.  Never dropped tuned, alternate tuned, or done anything that would have made me think I needed a "do-dad".  ;)  I saw a guy playing here in the marina (twice weekly concerts) who frequently put a capo on.  It made me think... how are others using that?

I'm an old dog.  Not averse to learning new tricks, but I have an open mind.  How are you using a capo?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

Best wishes,
Captain Jim

« Last Edit: July 20, 2012, 01:04:05 PM by Captain Jim »
2014 Taylor 522ce 12-fret
2012 Taylor 814ce
2006 Taylor T-5
2011 Taylor GSmini
2013 Rainsong Shorty SG-FLE
Gibson ES-335-TDC (1965)
Bose L1 Compact
Roland Cube-ST
Fishman Loudbox Mini

joe the strummer

Re: How are you using a capo?
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2012, 01:10:00 PM »
A lot of people use the capo to stay in certain chord shapes but change the key.  So if they want to play key of D chord shapes but have the song in key of E they capo at 2nd fret.

A fun thing to do is to keep the song in the key you like to sing it in but experiment with different chord shapes with the capo at various frets.  For instance, suppose you do a song in the key of E and use the first position chord shapes in key of E.  Well, you can capo at the 2nd fret and use the "first position" chord shapes for the key of D and still be in the key of E. 

Or you can put the capo at the 4th fret and play chord shapes "first position" chord shapes from the key of C and still be in the key of E. 

This type of use of the capo lets you sing in your comfortable key but adds some variety to your guitar sound.

For a "mandoliny" sound I capo at the 5th fret and play "first position" D chord shapes that are actually in the key of G.

DennisG

• Veteran Member
  • Veni Vidi Velcro: I came, I saw, I stuck around
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2012, 01:10:58 PM »
Wow, I can't imagine NOT having a capo -- if for no other reason than to change the key of a song so as to bring it into my limited vocal range.  Most of what I play is capo'd somewhere.

Sorry about the rain today, Jim.
-------------------------------------
'21 Goodall GC - master redwood/Macassar ebony
'18 Taylor K14-BE
'18 Taylor 114e
'21 Taylor GT Urban Ash
'15 Martin uke

Giraku

• I play exclusively fingerstyle.
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2012, 01:14:48 PM »
Hello Captain Jim,
Thanks for sharing a nice story. You are a lucky man having such a wonderful wife.

Now for capo, I use one for about 1/3 of my playing. My playing style is exclusively fingerstyle. Most obvious purpose of capo use is bringing a guitar to a desired key. In my case, not for singing along as I play solo fingerstyle arrangement. Just to bring melody lines to the original key (or close to it) because most of the time they sound the best when played in original key to me.
But another use of capo is to make fingering easier. Sometimes I opt for a real huge stretch which is near impossible to pull off without a capo. By putting a capo on either 4th or 5th fret, those "near impossible" stretch becomes playable.
BTW, I use G7th performance capo. I think this is one of the best I have ever used.
‘18 Taylor K14ce Builder’s Edition (Koa / Torrefied Sitka Spruce)
'16 Taylor 514ce LTD (Granadillo / Cedar)
'16 Taylor K22e LTD (All Koa)
'15 Martin D41 Purple Martin #29 of 50 (Cocobolo / Adirondack Spruce)
Sound Clips are here.

Scriptor

• Veteran Member
  • What His holiness demands, His grace has supplied
    • RickLangdon.com
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2012, 02:22:27 PM »
Capo's are friends of mine ...  8)

Here's how and why I use them:

1)  To put the song into a key that I can sing in while not having to play in something like Bb ...
2)  To keep up with pianists who tend to play in keys that are awkward for fingerstyle guitarists like me and who tend to want to change keys 3 to 5 times during a song ... (and wind up in Bb somewhere along the way)  :)
3)  If playing with other guitarists, to play along in a complementary way with different chord shapes, in higher registries for contrast, fullness and/or harmony
4)  I have really gotten into partial capos in the last few years, particularly the Shubb that covers only 3 strings.  This is for creative inspiration as it has a personality all its own ... it can simulate open tuning but it is different in that you can still play mostly normal chord shapes whenever you want ... I have written several instrumentals employing the partial capo (see my latest demo below) ... it is really fun ...

« Last Edit: July 20, 2012, 03:31:14 PM by Scriptor »
-- Scriptor

Featured demo: http://www.ricklangdon.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/12/58-Weeping-in-Ramah-mix-2.mp3

For more very simple demos of original music recorded with Taylor guitars: http://www.ricklangdon.com

Montaramike

• Mike McCall, Spanish Guitarist
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2012, 04:57:34 PM »
I agree with Giraku.. I use a capo only to play some tunes a bit faster as there is less of a reach to get to notes, positions. It also has the added bonus of lowering your action a bit.   :)
2011 Taylor Fall  Limited Cedar/Blackwood (Nylon)
Carmel Guitar Co OM Sinker/Bloodwood
Holden Village GS Mini
Navarro Special Grand Concert

Kevin A

« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2012, 05:22:19 PM »
2nd fret mostly. When I do use one.

"...I don't normally use a capo, but when I do...I use an Elliott..."

Cindy

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2012, 05:28:08 PM »
Putting a capo on at the 1st fret raises the pitch 1/2 step. Putting it on at the 2nd fret raises the pitch two 1/2 steps (aka a whole step). So each fret will raise the song's pitch by 1/2 step.

Let's say a group of you wants to play a song which is written in the key of E major, but the singer can't sing quite that low. The singer wants the song in the key of G major. The difference between E and G is three half steps (one-and-a-half steps total), so you place the capo at the 3rd fret and play the song as it is written in the key of E. The capo is now functioning as the nut of the guitar so you finger everything else based on the capo's position. Your other alternative is to transpose the music on the fly. :o

So if we have a song written in the key of C, but I want the concert pitch to be in the key of F, the first thing you need to do is to determine the distance between C up to F (you have to count upwards in half steps). So we have C# as one-half step, D as two half steps, Eb as three half steps, E as four half steps, and F as five half steps...so the capo goes on the 5th fret but you play the song using the chords in the key of C with the capo acting as the new nut. 
Cindy

ebick

« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2012, 09:57:55 PM »
I have recently been attending an open bluegrass jam.  I'm really just learning a lot of new songs.  The basics of the songs are far from complex, usually just a few chords, but a capo, in that scenario is pretty much a must.  If you have time to stop and think about it, it's easy enough to transpose, but when the people you are trying to follow are using one, it's just much easier to capo up. 
2006 Taylor T5S
2011 Taylor 814ce
2012 Taylor 214ce-n
2011 Taylor GS Mini
2012 Blueridge BR-40
2012 Alvarez ABT60
1982 Alvarez Yairi DY-46
1980 Gibson ES-175
1976 Gibson SG
1992 Yamaha FG-420-12A
2013 Squier Jaguar VMS Bass
2014 Squier Jaguar VMS Bass V
2013 Dean EAB

michaelw

• Veteran Member
  • with more frivolous trivia than most infomercials
    • i agree with Fred
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2012, 10:08:52 PM »
for key changes (Eb, for one) & to simplify chord forms (less barring)

i did that a good bit when i was serving on a worship team (rhythm acoustic) -
the chord charts we used had the key & capo notation on there

the leader didn't always follow the chart, even if it was correct & followed during practice -
one time, he decided not to change the key (no 'heads-up') & when the other acoustic player &
i hit the first chord ... :o we stopped, looked at each other, de-capoed & went on :-\

it's not about what you play,
it's all about why you play ...

support indie musicians
https://www.patreon.com/sidecarjudy
https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/the-jessica-malone-music-project#/

Go Navy

• Northern California
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2012, 12:42:26 AM »
I never use one.
Guild Manhattan X-175 (1976)
Ibanez GB10 George Benson 1980
2012 Taylor 812ce Cedar

Cindy

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2012, 07:56:52 AM »
Another reason you might want to use a capo is if you are doing a Tiny Tim impersonation...stick that baby on a fret really high up on the neck. ::)
Cindy

Captain Jim

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2012, 10:49:49 AM »
Thanks for the response, folks.  I'll be playing around with it to see how best to work in into the mix.

Regarding a couple specific responses:

(and totally OT) The rain yesterday did cost me a charter (the sea plane couldn't fly in), but it was still a great day for whale watching.  :)

If it gets to the point I feel the desire to do any Tiny Tim songs, I think I'll pick up a ukulele instead of putting a capo up the neck of... oh, and someone drag me off the stage, PLEASE!

;D

When playing electric, I find I work all over the neck.  When playing an acoustic, I tend to play closer to the nut, for the rich full sound.  I did notice the lowered action... and no buzz. 

I have the day off and the Blonde requested "a concert" tonight when she gets off work... I'll show her what I learned with the capo.  :)  Thanks again!

Best wishes,
Jim
2014 Taylor 522ce 12-fret
2012 Taylor 814ce
2006 Taylor T-5
2011 Taylor GSmini
2013 Rainsong Shorty SG-FLE
Gibson ES-335-TDC (1965)
Bose L1 Compact
Roland Cube-ST
Fishman Loudbox Mini

ewalling

« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2012, 01:54:42 PM »
I use a Shubb capo only when I play in DADGAD to vary the key.

Edward

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2012, 06:19:51 PM »
Three main reasons for me:
1. to keep/transpose the song for my vocal range.
2. to transpose a song for easier chording.
3. to revoice a song within a band setting so I'm not simply duplicating another guitarist.  Try it to add flava ...it's a good thing!  :D

As a bit of an old dog, myself, I know/play with a very talented/young musician (guitar isn't even his 1st instrument and he kicks butt, sheesh!!) who uses both a regular and a partial a partial capo avidly; he sounds great.  He got me using my capo more often and I'm very glad he did. :)

Edward