Author Topic: How are you using a capo?  (Read 5919 times)

egkor

Re: How are you using a capo?
« Reply #15 on: July 21, 2012, 07:10:02 PM »
My Reasons to Capo:

1)  Our P&W sheet music sometimes has 2 chord charts:  1) for no-capo which are usually harder to form chords for an acoustic guitar, and  2) chord chart for capo @ fret #, the chords are usually open/easy. So 9 out of 10 times I choose the capo chords.

2)  When a key change is called for, for the vocalists benefit as we are actually there to support the vocalists!  The capo sometimes lets me keep the same chords.  We used to tune the guitars down one whole step, and then capo @ fret #2, which brought the tuning back to standard.  Then if we needed to lower the music's key for the vocalists, we could tune down either by a 1/2 step by moving the capo from fret #2 to fret #1, or down by a whole step by removing the capo.  Worked out pretty well.

3)  When I change strings, I capo each new string at the nut (like a 3rd hand) while I work on the string at the tuning peg & eyelet.

-Gary K
« Last Edit: July 21, 2012, 07:14:11 PM by egkor »
Taylor- 614ce (2012), 315ce (2010)
Martin- DX1 (2009)

michaelw

• Veteran Member
  • with more frivolous trivia than most infomercials
    • i agree with Fred
« Reply #16 on: July 21, 2012, 08:45:52 PM »
Another reason you might want to use a capo is if you are doing a Tiny Tim impersonation...stick that baby on a fret really high up on the neck. ::)
which would be the opposite of a baby on the upper bout ;)
it's not about what you play,
it's all about why you play ...

support indie musicians
https://www.patreon.com/sidecarjudy
https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/the-jessica-malone-music-project#/

Satsuki

« Reply #17 on: July 22, 2012, 07:09:10 PM »
I use a capo to transpose. I play in a worship band and I use my Kyser every Sunday.

Cindy

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #18 on: July 22, 2012, 10:09:48 PM »
Another reason you might want to use a capo is if you are doing a Tiny Tim impersonation...stick that baby on a fret really high up on the neck. ::)
which would be the opposite of a baby on the upper bout ;)

Looks like the baby is playing with its feet! ;) Of course, I wouldn't risk doing that to one of my guitars...with my luck the baby would do a number on my guitar (like number 1 or number 2). :o
Cindy

Gutch

• Veteran Member
    • www.davegutshall.com
« Reply #19 on: July 23, 2012, 09:00:07 AM »
I capo regularly to bring songs into my vocal range, or to match the recorded version.  James Taylor plays primarily capo II or III.  I can hang with that.

Re: Ukulele -- Capo 5 on your guitar, and you'll be playing inthe same key as a uke...
‎"Music is a moral law. It gives soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and charm and gaiety to life and to everything."
-- Plato

Captain Jim

• Veteran Member
« Reply #20 on: July 23, 2012, 10:08:28 AM »
I capo regularly to bring songs into my vocal range, or to match the recorded version.  James Taylor plays primarily capo II or III.  I can hang with that.

Re: Ukulele -- Capo 5 on your guitar, and you'll be playing inthe same key as a uke...

So, I don't have to get a ukulele?  ;)

I have been playing with the capo.  Tried tuning to a drop D.  With the smaller scale as I move up the neck, it gets a little cramped - makes the GSmini feel small.  I notice the lighter action.  I understand the key change thing, but I haven't had much issue with that over the years - just transpose on the fly.

I really appreciate all the comments - friendly, sharing place!  :)

Best wishes,
Jim

2014 Taylor 522ce 12-fret
2012 Taylor 814ce
2006 Taylor T-5
2011 Taylor GSmini
2013 Rainsong Shorty SG-FLE
Gibson ES-335-TDC (1965)
Bose L1 Compact
Roland Cube-ST
Fishman Loudbox Mini