Author Topic: Taylor 614ce single string problem BUZZ/RATTLE  (Read 3834 times)

guitarist100

Taylor 614ce single string problem BUZZ/RATTLE
« on: July 28, 2012, 06:29:12 AM »
Hi guys this is my first post on this site, i have discovered a problem with my 614ce a few months back i had the A,d strings both what i think is buzzing /rattle or distorted sound when played open , so after trailing through the internet a suggestion that the batteries were causing the problem so i removed them problem was solved but it has come back but this time its the D string fretted at the fourth fret only doing it ,is it the truss rod needing adjusted or what ? strings on it at the moment are Elixir nanoweb 10-47 any help would be great Cheers from Scotland.

jjrpilot-admin

• UTGF Owner
  • Administrator
  • Veteran Member
Re: Taylor 614ce single string problem BUZZ/RATTLE
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2012, 10:04:11 AM »
Welcome!  Glad to have you here!  :)

I'm not sure how to fix that but I know other will chime in with their diagnosis... ;)
Col 1:15 "that in everything He might be preeminent."
2016 324 (Mahogany top/Tasmanian Blackwood b&s)
2017 Gibson J-45 Standard

Von Beerhofen

« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2012, 05:01:43 PM »
Hi,

the way I usually diagnose trusrod problem is to press the string around the 14th fret and then play the string between the nut and your finger, so the part that usually isn't vibrating. I do this at various locations or work my way towards the nut and if the string can vibrate freely, i.e. if it produces a clear note, it's not likely to be a trusrod problem.
The string is much closer to the frets when you do this as opposed to normal play, if you strike the string with force you'd initially hear it hit the frets after this a normal soft note should be audible.
If it's resonance vibration from something in the guitar or battery compartment the problem should also occur when you play the same note on other strings. Flageolettes of the same note should do the same thing.

Ludwig
« Last Edit: July 28, 2012, 05:06:25 PM by Von Beerhofen »

michaelw

• Veteran Member
  • with more frivolous trivia than most infomercials
    • i agree with Fred
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2012, 07:37:36 PM »
hi guitarist,
good to see you here :)

WELCOME !
other than zero relief or a back bow (negative relief)
in the neck, i'd suggest checking the action at the nut

.012 - .053 are what comes on a 614ce from the factory & depending on the
age of the guitar, the nut slots may  have deepened a bit from normal wear -
try using a capo on 1 & if the buzz on the open strings disappears, i'd suspect the nut

if the neck relief is correct for the string gauge you are using ( .010 - .047s)
for the D fretted at the 4th only, i'd look at the underside of the string (winding)
where it contacts the fret (flat spot) & i'd look at the fret itself (indentation)

just a couple of questions
are the strings relatively new or have they been on there a while ???
any recent extreme changes in temperature or humidity ???

hope the fix is a simple & inexpensive one -
looking forward to hearing more from you

please make yourself comfortable :D
it's not about what you play,
it's all about why you play ...

support indie musicians
https://www.patreon.com/sidecarjudy
https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/the-jessica-malone-music-project#/

guitarist100

« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2012, 10:55:09 AM »
Hi guys thanks for your replys,the strings were changed about 6 months ago its was doing this before the strings were changed,changes in temperature not really always rainy here in scotland but its kept in a constant normal temperature anyway.As for putting on a capo its still noisy/rattle sound with capo fitted ,its sound clear unfretted i have contacted a local repair tech to look at it . Derek
« Last Edit: August 01, 2012, 04:51:05 PM by guitarist100 »