Author Topic: Location of past topic regarding guitar straps and Taylor ES end pins?  (Read 4137 times)

ggj

A couple of months ago there was a Forum topic on the difficulty of getting guitar straps to fit ES end pins.  I can't seem to locate that string.  Any help would be appreciated.
GGJ

Living in the light of God's presence
________

michaelw

• Veteran Member
  • with more frivolous trivia than most infomercials
    • i agree with Fred
Re: Location of past topic regarding guitar straps and Taylor ES end pins?
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2012, 11:22:30 AM »
A couple of months ago there was a Forum topic on the difficulty of getting guitar straps to fit ES end pins.  I can't seem to locate that string.  Any help would be appreciated.
when 'strap' is put into the search bar (upper right part of screen) -
the second thread to come up (after this one) is the one i believe you're looking for
http://www.unofficialtaylorguitarforum.com/index.php?topic=1896

hope this helps
it's not about what you play,
it's all about why you play ...

support indie musicians
https://www.patreon.com/sidecarjudy
https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/the-jessica-malone-music-project#/

Jason Paul

« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2012, 12:47:54 PM »
I recently bought a strap and have this same problem. I actually I think I found that same thread earlier. I have a 314ce by the way, so it has the ES end pin.

Anyway, I had an idea about this, but haven't been able to try it yet. I'll try to explain it here.

1. Get a piece of fairly strong string. I fly sport kites, and will probably use sleeved bridle line, rated at about 80 pounds test. You'd want something thin enough to fit comfortably in the end pin slot, but strong enough to support the guitar.

2. Tie a loop in the string.

3. Get a small (1cm or so) wooden disk. A button might work. Drill a hole in the center. If using a button, the holes in the button will be too small, and drilling them out may leave you with a hole too big.

4. Slide the loop of string through the hole, so that the knot in the loop locks at the button. So, you end up with a loop of string with a button at the end. The knot in the string needs to be big enough that it can't slip through the hole in the disk/button.

5. Either loop the string twice around the end pin slot, or use a larkshead knot to attach the loop to the end pin. Larkshead knot:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WyzUmetVJFA

6. Slip the button through the hole in your guitar strap, same as you would normally do with the end pin.

So, you're essentially adding a second end pin (the disk/button) to the guitar. The idea may need to be tweaked to be sure it's secure enough, but it seems like it should work.

Also, both double-wrapping the loop around the end pin and using a larkshead knot will actually use the weight of the guitar to tighten the string around the end pin. So, the string won't come off. The weak point would be the knot pulling through the hole in the disk/button, or the disk/button breaking. So I would think these would be the things to tweak, if necessary. Start with a bulkier knot, or maybe a second, smaller disk/button on the outside of the main one.

What do you guys think? I've been thinking about posting this on the acoustic guitar forum, since there are more people, for more input.

And of course, there's a fair chance someone else has already done this.

Jason

Edward

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2012, 01:09:42 PM »

If you simply mean to ask how to get the strap to better fit the ES endpin, then the solution is very easy.

First off, as I'm sure you've seen, all straps vary in thickness, and I personally think the Taylor suede straps are soft, comfortable, and beautiful ...not to mention priced right compared to others of like high quality.

Secondly, I have long since thought the depth of the ES endpin is too shallow for most leather/suede straps ...you'd have thought Taylor could at least make their straps fit their guitars, sheesh!  So I agree that it's a bit of a niggling problem that needs addressing.

Solution: dampen with a few drops of water the small area of the strap hole (on the ES-side of the strap, of course), place a pair of quarters or nickels on either side of the hole on the strap, and then place in a vise over night.  Vise-grip style pliers will likely work if you don't have a vise. This "squished" part of the strap makes fitting the strap over the ES endpin easy.   FWIW, I've done this to three straps and it works perfectly with all my straps I use for my Taylors.   

Edward

CodeBlueEMT

• Veteran Member
  • In Dog Beers, I've Only Had One
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2012, 07:58:59 PM »
 Hey Jason, is my 300 lb. test line overkill? My 8 foot Hyperkite needs the #300. 
Shayne

2023 Gibson Custom '57 Les Paul Goldtop
2017 Taylor T5z Pro SE "Erwin"
2014 Taylor 524ce
2013 Martin 000-28EC Sunburst
2011 Taylor 314ce
2008 Taylor SB-1 Classic
1999 Taylor XXV-DR 25th Anniversary
Hard Knocks Custom Esquire "Miss Bettie"

Jason Paul

« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2012, 10:20:57 PM »
Hey Jason, is my 300 lb. test line overkill? My 8 foot Hyperkite needs the #300.

Ha! I wouldn't say it's overkill - just make sure the hole in your disk/button is small enough so the knot doesn't pull through. However, I'm guessing you may be talking about spectra. If so, I wouldn't use it for this. It's thin and potentially stretchy, and may be too slippery to hold a knot in this case.

The only Hyperkite I'm familiar with is the stack. I just checked online and found a dual-liner, so I'm guessing that's what you're talking about. I have several dual-liners and a couple of Quads (Revolution). But, I haven't spent much time flying over the last couple of years. I need to get out again.

Jason

CodeBlueEMT

• Veteran Member
  • In Dog Beers, I've Only Had One
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2012, 01:05:23 PM »

Ha! I wouldn't say it's overkill - just make sure the hole in your disk/button is small enough so the knot doesn't pull through. However, I'm guessing you may be talking about spectra. If so, I wouldn't use it for this. It's thin and potentially stretchy, and may be too slippery to hold a knot in this case.

The only Hyperkite I'm familiar with is the stack. I just checked online and found a dual-liner, so I'm guessing that's what you're talking about. I have several dual-liners and a couple of Quads (Revolution). But, I haven't spent much time flying over the last couple of years. I need to get out again.

Jason

My Hyperkite is old school, bought it back in 1990. It'll lift you off the ground. My bridle and line have quick clips. I also have 2 Prism kites. A 4' delta and a stack (5) of 5' deltas. I use the #300 line (150 feet) on the stack too.

I see a kite thread being started in the near future.  ;D
Shayne

2023 Gibson Custom '57 Les Paul Goldtop
2017 Taylor T5z Pro SE "Erwin"
2014 Taylor 524ce
2013 Martin 000-28EC Sunburst
2011 Taylor 314ce
2008 Taylor SB-1 Classic
1999 Taylor XXV-DR 25th Anniversary
Hard Knocks Custom Esquire "Miss Bettie"

Jason Paul

« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2012, 10:16:13 PM »
Bought in 1990 and quick clips? Yep - that's OLD SCHOOL for sure! We're all using larkshead knots now in the 21st century.  ;D

I'm all for a kite thread! I used to be a major poster at the Gone With the Wind forum, but haven't been very active there in the past few years.

By the way, I did go to Hobby Lobby today to see if I could find something to use for this end pin idea. I found a pack of 3/4" wooden wheels, which have a single hole in the center. I'm going to try them out either later tonight or tomorrow and see if this idea has any merit.

Jason