Author Topic: Modern worship church guitar  (Read 6766 times)

joelvan77

Modern worship church guitar
« on: December 29, 2012, 04:58:45 PM »
I'm looking at purchasing a new Taylor.  I am the worship director at a church; we typically do modern worship.  We have a full band each week with drums, bass, electric, keys, acoustic, and sometimes extra instruments.  I have narrowed my search to a 514, 714, or an 814.  I'm going to a shop to try them all today but I was wondering what any of your experience may advise me.
2013 Taylor 814C
1981 Fender Stratocaster
2008 Fender Lite Ash Stratocaster
1999 Gibson Les Paul
2004 Fender Telecaster
Custom made Telecaster

Joseph

Re: Modern worship church guitar
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2012, 05:24:54 PM »
Hi there... as a fellow worship guitar player, I indeed love to play Taylor guitars. My pastor, a fellow Taylor owner, starting out with a jumbo 315, and then going on to buy an 814ce, has used them both over the years. I have used a 415 jumbo, and presently am in love with a GS custom (rosewood/cedar). I bought the GS because I've never felt that the 415 had enough bottom end for my likes.. and the 1 7/8" neck is right up my alley for fingerstyle playing along with the comfortable Taylor neck.The GS has a great bass response, very deep and piano like.  As a side note, my pastor recently got a good deal on a Goodall baritone guitar that he uses whenever he plays now. I haven't talked to him about it yet, but it seems that he loves the bass response on it...being able to capo it up the neck and still be able to have a wonderful sounding guitar.  As you can see, I haven't locked myself into any one body size of Taylor guitar.  Hope you find one that speaks to you... just be open to body sizes and neck configurations. I personally prefer a non cutaway because of the full response when not amplified. Again... these are only my musings.... not putting down any Taylor guitar!  Have fun...!
Taylor 358e GO (2018)
Taylor 818e GO (2013 1st Edition)
Taylor GS7 Custom (2009)
Guild F-512 (1979)

jalbert

• I should be practicing
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2012, 05:26:38 PM »
I would also look at the 614 as well. The maple back and sides can help cut through a mix. Personally I think any of those could be used and work well, so I'd say find the one that feels and sounds the best to you.
James

'07 GA8-12
'19 Academy 12e-N

Edward

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2012, 05:45:22 PM »
Hi Joelvan,

Welcome aboard ...good to have you here!  :)

Others have asked this very same question, and while you will certainly get varied responses, I will say what I always say: the one you like best is the right/best guitar. 

In the mix, any good guitar that is decently amplified can be made to sound decent in the house; and likewise can be EQ'd to cut through a full-band live mix.  It really is in the hands of a competant soundguy and decent equipment all around.  That said, the ES is an excellent, pro-grade system ...much better than merely "decent."  So any Taylor ES-guitar can serve you well in this capacity.   This is no "taylor fanboy" comment but my actual experience over years with different guitars (diff Taylors as well as other brands, natch) and different PA systems in different "house" settings.  I personally wouldn't make choosing the guitar based on any criteria other than what you feel sounds/plays best.  Nail that and getting you to sound good in the house is a straightforward task, truly.  All IMHO, of course :)

Edward

dmccrider

« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2012, 06:02:38 PM »
I'd say you are definately on the right track. IMHO, Sitka/Rosewood 814 would be better if you've got an aggressive attack and really want to cut through, the warm and very beautiful tone of the 514 makes magic happen if you are going to play with a little less company, and the 714 (with Englemann) would thrive if your desire lies somewhere between the two. Good luck and have fun searching!

jjrpilot-admin

• UTGF Owner
  • Administrator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2012, 06:23:48 PM »
I'm prone to agree with Joseph E...about the GS.  Granted what others have said about the sound being mixed properly goes a long way in helping.  Some worship leaders really prefer maple due to its quick decay.  I play in a couple of worship bands at church and am using my GS8.  Sitka/EI Rosewood back and sides.  The sitka is nice and snappy, and the rosewood really gives it that "piano" like tone on the lower end.

Keep us posted on your decision!   ;D
Col 1:15 "that in everything He might be preeminent."
2016 324 (Mahogany top/Tasmanian Blackwood b&s)
2017 Gibson J-45 Standard

Strumming Fool

• Veteran Member
  • Christi simus non nostri
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2012, 06:45:00 PM »
In an amplified group setting, I would opt for a 614 or a 514. The 614 will perform well in that setting, but the 514 IMO is a guitar for all seasons. A rosewood-backed guitar sounds good in a solo/tenor vocal support function, but might otherwise get lost in the mix, because other instruments (like keyboards, and some basses) fill the same tonal spectrum and would be in competition with it.A  614 would be optimal for a plugged-in band setting, while the 514 will serve well in that and all other settings. Just my opinion....
My Taylor Grand Auditoriums:

1997 Cujo14 - old growth cedar/black walnut
2014 K24e - master grade koa
2018 Custom GA - bear claw sitka spruce/mahogany
2019 614 - torrified sitka spruce/flamed maple
2020 714 - lutz spruce/rosewood

cigarfan

• Veteran Member
  • If He comes today ...........are you ready?
    • I Ignite!
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2012, 06:58:07 PM »
I'd say you are definately on the right track. IMHO, Sitka/Rosewood 814 would be better if you've got an aggressive attack and really want to cut through, the warm and very beautiful tone of the 514 makes magic happen if you are going to play with a little less company, and the 714 (with Englemann) would thrive if your desire lies somewhere between the two. Good luck and have fun searching!

^^  I'd say dmccrider nailed it with the sound descriptions. One other thing I would say is I think the cedar 514 is fantastic wood combo. Problem is most of the 514s in my local shop are engleman.

No matter what you can't go wrong with any of those you mention. You'll know when you hear them.
Blackbird, Froggy Bottom, Gibson, Goodall, Hatcher,
Kanile'a, Kinnard, Kwasnycia, Martin, Rainsong,
Ryan, Santa Cruz, Taylor, Voyage Air, Weber

michaelw

• Veteran Member
  • with more frivolous trivia than most infomercials
    • i agree with Fred
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2012, 09:11:31 PM »
hi joel,
good to see you here :)

WELCOME !if you happen to run across a 12 414ce-FLTD (cedar/tasmanian blackwood with CV bracing)
i'd suggest giving that one a try too - i think the depth, warmth, definition & balance is quite nice 8)

looking forward to hearing more from you
please make yourself comfortable :D
it's not about what you play,
it's all about why you play ...

support indie musicians
https://www.patreon.com/sidecarjudy
https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/the-jessica-malone-music-project#/

Joseph

« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2012, 11:03:45 PM »
Speaking of modern worship guitar.... I am really loving this worship song by Vineyard.  I am constantly amazed by the Vineyard UK worship groups who can use several
guitars (electric and acoustic) to bring out wonderful music using each for a different sound.   Maybe you will enjoy this one.  One of my favorites...   Being a new member, I had better read the policies again just to make sure this is ok to post with violating the rules... hope not!

http://youtu.be/exH2RXBodRA
« Last Edit: December 30, 2012, 10:37:19 AM by Joseph E »
Taylor 358e GO (2018)
Taylor 818e GO (2013 1st Edition)
Taylor GS7 Custom (2009)
Guild F-512 (1979)

joelvan77

« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2012, 12:39:59 AM »
Thanks for all the help folks!!  I went to my local shop today and tried a 514CE, 714CE cedar/eir, and an 814CE Sitka/coccobolo.  I found, for my taste, the 814 was it for me.  I would enjoy having a 514 one day but for a mainstay I like the 814.  So I ordered an 814C with chrome tuners rather than the gold.  I'm going to out an LR Baggs element in it.  I've played my 414CE for the last 2-3 years and really don't like the Taylor ES.  I'm happy to get my new baby.  Thank you for your help!!
2013 Taylor 814C
1981 Fender Stratocaster
2008 Fender Lite Ash Stratocaster
1999 Gibson Les Paul
2004 Fender Telecaster
Custom made Telecaster

Strumming Fool

• Veteran Member
  • Christi simus non nostri
« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2012, 11:39:02 AM »
Your choice makes sense since it appears that you were accustomed to playing a 414. The 814 is tonally closest to the 414. Congrats on your choice; I'm sure you'll love it!
My Taylor Grand Auditoriums:

1997 Cujo14 - old growth cedar/black walnut
2014 K24e - master grade koa
2018 Custom GA - bear claw sitka spruce/mahogany
2019 614 - torrified sitka spruce/flamed maple
2020 714 - lutz spruce/rosewood

theguitarguru

« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2012, 12:07:08 PM »
I was betting u would pickup the 814 because it has the CV bracing. 714 or 514 don't. It tend to sound fatter, bassier and little louder. Just did a tryout with 2 other friends and they liked 814 best and surprisingly 414 came second. Now, didn't u try the current ES pickup at the store? I don't know what year is ur 414 but the latest 3rd generation pickup sounds awesome IMHO
If you registered in this forum, you are my 2nd family

e8n

« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2012, 03:21:38 PM »
I would also look at the 614 as well. The maple back and sides can help cut through a mix. Personally I think any of those could be used and work well, so I'd say find the one that feels and sounds the best to you.

+1 on this.  In this type of setting the 614 cuts through the mix nicely.

-Dave
2011 Taylor Custom GS (Adi/Rosewood)
2012 Taylor 814LTD Spring Limited
2008 Fender Telecaster
2010 Kentucky Mandolin

Guitars of the past: Alvarez AD60, 2007 Taylor 110ce, 2006 Taylor 710ce, Taylor 2008 GS Fall Ltd, 2010 Taylor 814ce, 2010 Taylor K26c,2010 Taylor Custom DN, Taylor 714ce

briguysm

• Yeah, I "play" guitar...
    • The Attic STL
« Reply #14 on: December 31, 2012, 03:35:27 PM »
I would also invest in a quality DI (assuming your church doesn't already have one). That can make quite a big difference in your sound through a system. It may not have been the expression system you didn't like, but the DI.

I have an L.R. Baggs Venue (DI/tuner) and I love it. I plugged in with a Radial J48 the other day and played a bit, then swapped it out for my L.R. Baggs just to see if it really made any difference. It sounded like a completely different guitar. I hadn't really done a side by side comparison since I got the Venue, but man is it worth every single penny!

I travel and play at many different churches, as well as my home church, and it's very important to me that my guitar sound almost the same everywhere I go (of course a $10k sound system won't produce the same sound as a $500K sound system, but you get the idea). The only way to do that is to bring your own DI.

'Grats on the new 814, I had one two guitars ago and loved it. I only sold it to go even deeper into the Taylor cave to grab a pricier gem...the cycle never ends, lol. The 814s have a ton of body, and are pretty much required for worship leaders now, haha.

Pics, please when you get it!
2012 Taylor Custom GA BTO - Sinker/Macassar
1998 Taylor W-10
2018 Duesenberg Starplayer TV sparkle blue