Poll

What model(s) are playing & what do you enjoy most about it (them) ?

Dreadnought - DN, X10, RT Style 3
19 (9%)
Grand Concert - GC, X12, RT Style 2
30 (14.2%)
Grand Auditorium - GA, X14
46 (21.8%)
Jumbo - JM, X15
5 (2.4%)
Grand Symphony - GS, X16, RT Style 1
22 (10.4%)
Signature or Gallery Series
2 (0.9%)
12 String -  XX#-12, X50, X54, X55
7 (3.3%)
LTD - Fall, Spring or Summer, Anniversary or Commemorative
21 (10%)
BTO - 'Non-Standard' or Custom Shop
11 (5.2%)
Specialty - 9 String, Baritone 6 or 8 String
2 (0.9%)
Portable - Baby, Big Baby, GS Mini
14 (6.6%)
Acoustic Bass - AB
1 (0.5%)
Nylon Series - X12 or X14, 14 or 12 fret
1 (0.5%)
T5 - 6 or 12 String
5 (2.4%)
T3 - with or without Bigsby
0 (0%)
SB - Single or Double Cutaway
3 (1.4%)
Other Model - In case there's a choice missing
0 (0%)
Acoustic - including CE no e, Acoustic Series, pre-07 ###. & 1XX/2XX
8 (3.8%)
Acoustic Electric - CE, e, pre-07 XXX add e
13 (6.2%)
Other Configuration - In case there's a choice missing
1 (0.5%)

Total Members Voted: 87

Author Topic: What model(s) are you playing & what do you enjoy most about it (them) ?  (Read 20190 times)

jjracer

I like the GS series I currently have 4,    GS6e,  GS8e,  716ce and a K26ce  I like the size and the sound that come out of this series of Taylors.
Guitars? Yes still have them
If I'm not here....... I am somewhere else

mgap

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
I enjoy playing the GA or x14 the most, they have the best feel when I play.  The sound is great, but I will say my 716 does seem to have a bit more volume.  I have had a number of DN's, two of the Taylor DN's I had featured short scale necks which I really did like, but the body shape was just to bulking feeling. 
He who loses money, loses much; he who loses a friend, loses more; he who loses faith, loses all.

Cindy

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
I am surprised to see that the Grand Concert currently has more votes than the Grand Symphony. I always thought that once the GS was introduced, it was more popular than the GC. Perhaps it's because the GC has been around longer that it has more votes? :o
Cindy

wooglins

• Veteran Member
I really enjoy my GS, far more than any other Taylor shape I have owned.  It is comfortable to hold like a GA, but gives me a much wider variety of tonal velocities.   I can do GC, GA, or Dread with it. 

That being said I am not sure the same could be applied as a blanket statement to all GS sized Taylors.  Mine has a Adirondack top, and Cocobolo back and sides, along with a short scale, which gives me an unusual variety of dynamics.  It can be played softly with sweet overtones, played hard without overtones, played hard with overtones, etc.  I am able to accomplish this by simply altering by bone tone, and using different picks, in combination with a choice of woods that allow for that. 

The G

I've gone from a 314 to a GA4 to a GC3.
So, I'm liking the comfort factor of the size and the sound of the Sapele /Sitka combination of my new GC3.
A keeper. ;D
« Last Edit: April 13, 2012, 12:50:04 AM by The G »
Cheers,
 Ken
==============================
Gibson J-45 TV
Martin  OM-21
Couch  (Full of 1.14 mm Guitar Picks)

wooglins

• Veteran Member
I've gone from a 314 to a GA4 to a GC3.
So, I'm liking the comfort factor of the size and the sound of the Sapele /Sitka combination of my new GC3.
A keeper. ;D

I love the GX3 and GX4 lines in all the available shapes, but especially the GC.   That is truly a bargin guitar.  Especilly on Spring Limiteds.

Strumming Fool

• Veteran Member
  • Christi simus non nostri
I love my five GAs - and I love playing them all. I try to play the new ones more to enhance the maturing process, but I love 'em all- the old ones, the new ones - they're all great. The Taylor GA has become my guitar of choice. I'm contemplating some different flavors....more to follow!
My Taylor Grand Auditoriums:

1997 Cujo14 - old growth cedar/black walnut
2014 K24e - master grade koa
2018 Custom GA - bear claw sitka spruce/mahogany
2019 614 - torrified sitka spruce/flamed maple
2020 714 - lutz spruce/rosewood

Edward

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
Loved my GA7e, both for the size and the wood combo.  If I were to own only one Taylor, this GA body and the ced/rw would be my choice ...the quintessential "desert island" guitar :)

But I got rid of this very fine specimen for other pastures: green and lush, to be sure, but for tone of course and, dare I say, aesthetics.  I am now using both my Custom DN and RT Style-2 (GC body), playing both avidly.  The former for live use, the latter as the home-practice and/or couch guitar to get wrapped and lost in luscious tone.  Having owned maple in the past, I knew and liked its characteristics, but both these two are maple guits like no other.  Both highly figured quilt, the custom DN with a AA-spruce top and body abalone binding, and the RT an engelmann top.  Talk about both these guits providing sonic oomph!  Remember my lovely GA7, I don't know how the guys at RT did it, but my diminutive Style 2 has all the bass, even a slightly deeper timbre to the bottom that is focused and oh-so clear,yet with all the defined mids and crisp top end that my GA7 had, and then some.  This RT delivers everything I love about the GA7, and more of it ...and that they did it in maple (replete with all the preconceptions one has with maple) blows my mind.  Both my DN and this guit are stunner, but this RT is truly in a sonic class of its own.  Oh yeah, they're also both gorgeous! 

Forgive the gush-fest ...it's a dead morning and I'm on the computer with a cup o joe  so this is what you good folks have to deal with. :)

Edward

The G

As of April 21 the GA size leads with %19.9.
I somehow expected that as they are indeed a truly
versatile body size.
What surprised me is the GC size in 2nd place with %14.9.
For some reason I expected the DN or GS to be battling for
2nd.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2012, 10:49:45 AM by The G »
Cheers,
 Ken
Gibson J-45 TV
Martin  OM-21

cjd-player

• Veteran Member
  • Near Pittsburgh, PA
versatile body size.
For some reason I expected the GN or GS to be battling for
2nd.

That is not really a valid conclusion because there are voting categories such as Limited and BTO where body style is not defined.  So for example, there could be a lot of GS BTO votes that are not recorded in the GS body size category.
Carl
2010 BTO GC, Redwood on EI Rosewood
2010 312ce, kept in DADGAD
2006 814ce LTD, Sitka on Mad Rosewood
2013 Composite Acoustics OX-Raw

Bill R

My two 6-strings are RT style 2's (GC sized).  Since I play mostly finger style and do some strumming, I prefer the clarity, balance and short scale of the GC/Style 2 size.  If I need more volume, I just plug in.  Probably the biggest reason I like the smaller body size, however, is purely comfort.  They are so nice to curl up on the sofa or sit on the floor with.  I do like the sound of a GA or GS 6-string, I just wouldn't want to deal with the size.

My 12-string is a 2002 GA-sized mahogany/sitka custom model.  I ordered it as a custom, because I didn't want a jumbo model, which was Taylor's main size for 12 strings at the time.  I think they came out with the GA 12-strings as standard models shortly after I got mine.  This was before the GS model was developed. I haven't been playing it much as of late, but it's as small as I think one can realistically go with a 12-string.  Again, I seem to really prefer smaller bodied guitars for comfort.

Bill
Music is what life sounds like.  ~Eric Olson

2002 - Taylor GA 500 series 12-string
2008 - R Taylor 2 cocobolo and Swiss alpine spruce (for sale)
2013 - John Greven OOO

dragonfly66

GC Koa 12-fret 2010 Spring Limited - This is my number one guitar. I love the short scale, the body size and the 12-fret configuration.  This guitar just sounds incredible. I put a Fossilized Walrus Ivory (FWI) saddle in it.  There is a subtle, but sweet difference between the FWI and just regular bone.  This guitar is very comfortable, coupled with sounding like the best guitar I've ever heard, I get excited just talking (typing) about it!

412ce Walnut 2010 Spring Limited - I was surprised at how much I like this guitar.  I wasn't sure how Walnut would sound.  What I found it that Walnut is like Koa, it all sounds different.  I played at least 4 different versions of this guitar. I'm glad I did.  This guitar has the body and scale I like GS/Short Scale.  The extra appointments made this 400 series worth every penny.

NS72ce - I just got this guitar and am not as impressed acoustically as I want to be, but I knew that going in.  I just love the way Taylors play and I wanted to have a nylon option in my arsenal.  I played the 300 and 200 series and obviously they were not even close to the sound of the 700 series.  I waited for my local shop to get one in and made the sales guy give me a good deal on it. It feels good to me, but acoustically it doesn't sound full or wide like my traditional classical guitar.  I know I should not expect this, but I am expecting more than it is giving me.  To help, hopefully, I bought a West African Hard Ivory saddle from Bob at guitarsaddles.com.  I haven't installed it yet though.

GS Mini - I love this little guitar.  At first I thought it was too big and if you are going to go that big then you should just take a regular sized guitar.  I thought it was pricey for what you get, but I'm glad I have it.  It is easy to travel with and sounds fabulous. The scale is easy to get comfortable with, but if you play with a capo it will start sounding like a toy after about the 4 fourth fret.

« Last Edit: April 22, 2012, 07:02:25 PM by dragonfly66 »

Taylor '10 GCce Koa 12-fret SLTD ~ '14 512ce 12-fret  ~ '11 GAce 12-fret SLTD ~ '10 412ce SLTD ~ '11 NS72ce
Breedlove '09 Northwest Classic Journey OF660 Boulder Creek Riptide Uke
QSC K10s/KW181 Fishman LoudBox 100

darylcrisp

after a couple years of buying/trading, i've sorta come full circle. started with a GAD30 Guild, traded that to a Maton BG808 Artist, sold the Maton, bought my first Taylor(DDSM) followed shortly by a GS8, then shortly after a GC7. Sold the DDSM and GS8 and discovered Martins. Dabbled all over the Martin map and sold the GC7 for an 814e burst, then picked up another 814CE. Sold the 814's for more Martins(00/OM/Dreads). about this time i felt i desired small body short scales and dabbled in Santa Cruz models. Ended up trading the SC and dove into luthier brands(john mayes, beneteau). was into 12 fret around this time almost fully. acquired a monster goodall TR000. by now everything i owned was a 12 fret(steel string, flamenco, weissenborn).

i had not owned a taylor for about 2 years at this point-just no interest. i remember the 814 12 fret 2010 limited coming available and seeing some reviews-i was interested but felt it would be simply a standard 814 tone. took me about 9 months to decide to take a chance and sure am glad i did. the 814 12 fret i picked up from GuitarRodeo was a fantastic guitar. loved everything about it.

about 6 months after acquiring the 814 12F,  i was in a small shop i like in asheville nc(musicians workshop). i was looking for a gigbag for a 12 fret i had picked up and casually walked into the taylor room they have. played some nice limiteds and standards and was heading out when i noticed this absolutely amazing looking GS. I had long ago decided the GS was too big for me due to how i play-i left the room with intent to head out for home-decided while i was there i should at least take that 516 off the wall-what happened next was an amazing session with a guitar that i fell in love with. i was pressed for time and had to leave, and knowing i had some excellent guitars at home, knew i sure didn't need another one, especially a GS size.

a week later i simply had to do the 2 hour drive again and play that 516 to "get over it". ended up staying a couple hours and walked out with it. came home and immediately sold all other steel strings i had. i've continued to be extremely happy with this basic 516ce. in the interum i did pick up a 12 fret GC and traded that for the GT6 baritone. That has been an excellent guitar for me as well.

so in the end, i've sold everything i have(yes even the Goodall-which was a super guitar)and ended up with a 516ce and the GT6.  for the first time in my life i've had no real GAS pains for quite a while. i have wanted to play one of the 716s in the vintage burst(for the EIR and cedar combo). love the way these look and i think the EIR/cedar would complement my cedar/mahogany 516 quite well.
i've had the opportunity to own some world class guitars costing in the $5000 and up range-and there was nothing wrong with them at all-but when the 516 crossed my path, it just fit me so well and sounded so right, everything else lost its appeal.

the gt6 baritone simply brings a smile each time i open the case-just somthing very special, very fun, about that guitar.

d
« Last Edit: April 23, 2012, 01:22:47 AM by darylcrisp »

Steve

• Veteran Member
    • Steve Parr Photography
I've been playing this since last July:

No one has ever been on their death-bed wishing they'd been more practical...

The G

versatile body size.
For some reason I expected the GN or GS to be battling for
2nd.

That is not really a valid conclusion because there are voting categories such as Limited and BTO where body style is not defined.  So for example, there could be a lot of GS BTO votes that are not recorded in the GS body size category.

The conclusion is perfectly valid for the list of models supplied by the OP, and obviously skewed towards those
people who frequent this forum and actually voted.
Cheers,
 Ken
Gibson J-45 TV
Martin  OM-21