Author Topic: How many Taylor's have you EVER owned....  (Read 34223 times)

InsideOut

Re: How many Taylor's have you EVER owned....
« Reply #90 on: January 16, 2015, 02:44:27 PM »
it's difficult for me to pick a 'favorite' (if one has more than child, which one is the 'favorite'),
but in terms of uniqueness (the most unTaylor-like Taylor, tone-wise), i'd have to say this one -
814LTD Custom Shop redwood/ziricote

as far as i know, i haven't seen another in this wood combination &
if aother were to be made, the specs would be a good bit different
(among them wood thicknessing, bracing, finish & headstock joint) -
if there was ever a Taylor that was leaning towards a 'thick' gibsonesque
type of tone while maintaining Taylor's definition, for me it's this one :)

Michael, this is my dream wood combination.  Ever since I played the Grey Whale GC I have wanted a Ziricote guitar.  When they had the first Taylor Stock people were getting into the redwood tops.  At that point I knew the two were meant to be together.  I am glad you have this guitar.  It is nice to know that it does exist somewhere.  I am sure it was worth the wait.

For my own Taylor guitars, I started with the best of the standard production models, a 1998 714-CE.  There wasn't much room for improvement after that, so I have only had a few others.  Next was a Big Baby that I traveled around with, took to the beach and to camp.  I picked up a 30th Anniversary 410-CE, then a GS7-E and finally a GA3-E.  As of now, I only have the 714-CE and the GA3-E.  After ten years the Big Baby was ready to move on.  The 410 and GS7 both sounded great, but I never could get comfortable with the body shapes and heavier strings.  I tried lights on both of them, but it just wasn't a match.  So I am probably done buying Taylor guitars.  Sad, but I have my needs and desires met.  Unless Michael decides to turn loose of that GA Ziricote/Redwood!
I have enough, but can always make room for more.

michaelw

• Veteran Member
  • with more frivolous trivia than most infomercials
    • i agree with Fred
« Reply #91 on: January 16, 2015, 07:20:50 PM »
it's difficult for me to pick a 'favorite' (if one has more than child, which one is the 'favorite'),
but in terms of uniqueness (the most unTaylor-like Taylor, tone-wise), i'd have to say this one -
814LTD Custom Shop redwood/ziricote

as far as i know, i haven't seen another in this wood combination &
if aother were to be made, the specs would be a good bit different
(among them wood thicknessing, bracing, finish & headstock joint) -
if there was ever a Taylor that was leaning towards a 'thick' gibsonesque
type of tone while maintaining Taylor's definition, for me it's this one :)

Michael, this is my dream wood combination.  Ever since I played the Grey Whale GC I have wanted a Ziricote guitar.  When they had the first Taylor Stock people were getting into the redwood tops.  At that point I knew the two were meant to be together.  I am glad you have this guitar.  It is nice to know that it does exist somewhere.  I am sure it was worth the wait.

For my own Taylor guitars, I started with the best of the standard production models, a 1998 714-CE.  There wasn't much room for improvement after that, so I have only had a few others.  Next was a Big Baby that I traveled around with, took to the beach and to camp.  I picked up a 30th Anniversary 410-CE, then a GS7-E and finally a GA3-E.  As of now, I only have the 714-CE and the GA3-E.  After ten years the Big Baby was ready to move on.  The 410 and GS7 both sounded great, but I never could get comfortable with the body shapes and heavier strings.  I tried lights on both of them, but it just wasn't a match.  So I am probably done buying Taylor guitars.  Sad, but I have my needs and desires met.  Unless Michael decides to turn loose of that GA Ziricote/Redwood!
i remember that 410ceL30 :)

if, for some reason, in a moment of unclarity i decide
to let the GA-ZR go, i will definitely let you know -
hope you're doing well & that the
new years' been good to you thus far :D
it's not about what you play,
it's all about why you play ...

support indie musicians
https://www.patreon.com/sidecarjudy
https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/the-jessica-malone-music-project#/

Edward

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #92 on: January 16, 2015, 08:16:08 PM »
Hey wait a minute ...anyone got a pic of that 410ceL30?  I used to own one, flamed ovangkol, gotoh 510, ES1.3, and glossed the fin.  Great guit!  The same maybe?

Edward

michaelw

• Veteran Member
    • i agree with Fred
« Reply #93 on: January 16, 2015, 08:56:35 PM »
Hey wait a minute ...anyone got a pic of that 410ceL30?  I used to own one, flamed ovangkol, gotoh 510, ES1.3, and glossed the fin.  Great guit!  The same maybe?

Edward
ed,
i'm about 99.999% certain that's the same 410ceL30,
although i'm not 100% certain about the gotohs -
it may have changed hands once before you got it & buffed it out

it was quite flamey, though

support indie musicians

Edward

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #94 on: January 17, 2015, 11:26:27 AM »
Oh that's very cool, Michael!  That guit was once owned by Christopher Cross.  I very reluctantly parted with it to help me fund something more special ...I'd love to see it again in action :)

Edward

InsideOut

« Reply #95 on: January 17, 2015, 10:04:07 PM »
Oh that's very cool, Michael!  That guit was once owned by Christopher Cross.  I very reluctantly parted with it to help me fund something more special ...I'd love to see it again in action :)

Edward

Yes, that was the same guitar.  I would have to dig out an old computer to find any pictures though.  It was stock when I sold it.  If I remember correctly, I did get the deluxe brown case when I bought it. 

This thread has gotten me to think about all of the guitars I have had over the years.  I don't necessarily want them all back, but it would be nice to play them again and see where they have ended up. 
I have enough, but can always make room for more.

Harley

« Reply #96 on: January 21, 2015, 04:31:24 PM »
I had:

214ce Prototype
Big Baby Taylor

I have:

GS Mini (on loan to a friend)

michaelw

• Veteran Member
    • i agree with Fred
« Reply #97 on: January 21, 2015, 04:51:16 PM »
Yes, that was the same guitar.  I would have to dig out an old computer to find any pictures though.  It was stock when I sold it. If I remember correctly, I did get the deluxe brown case when I bought it.
i thought it might have gone through one, or more, owner(s) by the time it got to ed

This thread has gotten me to think about all of the guitars I have had over the years.  I don't necessarily want them all back, but it would be nice to play them again and see where they have ended up.
me too

i can think of a few i wouldn't mind having back also -
01 414ce, 02 514ce, 03 714ceLTD, 06 914ceLTD, 08 714ceLTD & 09 716ceLTD

but, life happens -
you do what needs to be done & you move on

hopefully, they're being appreciated & played more than when i had 'em :-\

support indie musicians

Bernie

• Music Lover
« Reply #98 on: January 24, 2015, 06:28:23 PM »
Thanks Strumming Fool, (Mcc4)Ron, (Nordic Bee)Eric & Edward for these relevant points you mentioned...I had times when I told myself similar things : when I add to sound quality the beauty of the guitar & its woods, the discreet electronics, the cutaway, neck comfort & other things, I find my guitar beats a lot of what I've seen...I had to struggle too much against people who unfairly criticise Taylor guitars I bet... However I'd be more on Cigarfan's side, willing to experiment as many different makes & craftsmen's guitars as I can...Maybe you're going to turn me back to Taylor guitars who knows...So far I have no plan to buy anything new being happy with my Taylor, my Martin & my (flamenco) Hermanos Sanchís Lopez...For what I can do they are perfectly fit so far...I'm not Paco de Lucía nor Doc Watson or John Mc Laughlin....I am watching what's around, playing a few guitars if I can & we'll see : but I've been impressed by a couple guitars at a luthiers' show...Good value for the money as I've said. ??? :P
Sorry for being a bit late at answering and thanks again.. ;).

Bernie.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2015, 04:33:44 PM by Bernie »

Frances50

« Reply #99 on: January 28, 2015, 11:46:12 AM »
I just own my PS56ce 12-string.  I love it.  I pick it up and don't want to put it down.  It's drop dead gorgeous and plays like a dream.
Frances

Taylor PS56ce 12-string acoustic
Gibson J-45 Rosewood
Gibson Doves in Flight (2013)
Gibson ES-335 Dot Natural
Gibson Les Paul Standard Premium (Koa)
Fender American Deluxe Strat HSS
Olson 2012 SJ
Epiphone Tommy Thayer Spaceman Les Paul (autographed)

jivauk

• Sadly Jimmy lost his fight with cancer 3 Nov 2015
    • singer/songwriter duo, a gentle blend of acoustic instruments and vocal harmony
« Reply #100 on: February 26, 2015, 05:45:44 AM »
Current (8):
Big Baby
910CE
910CE-L7
914CE-L7
954CE-L7
Custom Jumbo Cocobolo/Spruce
Custom Jumbo Cocobolo/Spruce 12-string

Sold (6):
Baby Taylor BT1
Baby Taylor BT2
XXV-DR
810CE
810-LTD

Still looking to add to the collection if the right guitars come along.

Val
www.jiva.co.uk

Guitars: Taylor, Yamaha, Eko
Ukuleles: Kala
Sound System: Bose, AER

cooper59

« Reply #101 on: February 26, 2015, 07:37:59 AM »
I have had a 310, a mini, a 214 and eventually got rid of them. seemed to be missing something. but now have a 522 12 fret and love the sound. amazing guitar. but I was always looking for something so im not going to list the Gibson,martins,blueridge,eastman and on and on I have sold

mavr

« Reply #102 on: February 26, 2015, 08:15:34 AM »
....Including ones you sold or still have in your possession. My husband thinks I am crazy with 2 Taylor's and one Gibson, I am trying to prove that I am of the minority!  :P

So how many Taylor's have you ever owned? For me..... Four: 114ce, 414ce, GS Mini Koa, 714ce

Two, both of them are still (and will be for some time, for sure) mine:

456CE (2013 FLTD)
GS Mini Mahogany
 :)

Nicky Midss

• celebrate we will...
« Reply #103 on: March 02, 2015, 10:52:06 PM »
06 214
06 314
05 714
00 514ce
93 712
99 514ce
-Nick

1998 914c - Engelmann/Rosewood

Bernie

• Music Lover
« Reply #104 on: March 04, 2015, 07:57:22 AM »
Seems like you've tried the biggest series, TwoStep2000...What about 400, 600 or 800 ?
« Last Edit: March 04, 2015, 08:04:45 AM by Bernie »