Author Topic: How many Taylor's have you EVER owned....  (Read 34227 times)

Roman

• Music, the Universal language
Re: How many Taylor's have you EVER owned....
« Reply #60 on: January 08, 2015, 07:02:38 PM »
My 1st one and the latest one (not necessarily my last!).

614ce
714ce
814c (Florentine cutaway, tobacco sunburst)
Big Baby
Larrivée L-05
Gibson J-55
Gibson S.J.
Guild D-55
Seagull Grand Artist (Rosewood Parlor)
Gold Tone PBR (maple deluxe resonator)
Regal RC-51 (tri-cone)
Fender F-48 (metal body resonator)
Cort Earth 900
A&L AMI
Ariana
Old Kent

BobSol

• Too Old To Worry
« Reply #61 on: January 09, 2015, 08:05:07 AM »
The six listed below over a two year period is well worthy of a serious talk with myself in a dense wood. As a younger man I wouldn't have given a second thought to the pursuit of irrational objects of desire whether it was water skis, scuba equipment or very expensive motorcycles. Strangely in my late fifties I kinda stopped wanting things, heck I've owned my current motorcycle for eight years and am perfectly happy with it, but this GAS emotion is a whole new ballgame especially as I don't play well. I seem to have it tamed at the moment and have collected purely by chance a balance of instruments that between them satisfy whatever it is I've gotten myself into. I don't really understand the emotions involved but I'm having a great time and luckily my wonderful wife is fully supportive. I'm a blessed man.
2011 Taylor GA12 FLTD KOA
2014 Taylor GS Mini Koa FLTD
2014 Taylor 456CE SLTD
2012 Taylor 210
2010 Taylor 510 KOA FLTD
2006 Taylor T5 C2 KOA

BobSol

• Too Old To Worry
« Reply #62 on: January 09, 2015, 08:16:40 AM »
Bizarrely it is precisely two years ago today since I walked out of my local Taylor dealer with my 210 in a box. If anyone sees a plot loose I think it could be mine. ;D
2011 Taylor GA12 FLTD KOA
2014 Taylor GS Mini Koa FLTD
2014 Taylor 456CE SLTD
2012 Taylor 210
2010 Taylor 510 KOA FLTD
2006 Taylor T5 C2 KOA

jrporter

• Veteran Member
« Reply #63 on: January 09, 2015, 10:19:40 AM »
In vaguely recalled chronological order...

GS8
GA8
GA4
524 (Current)
524 First Edition (Current)

FWIW I've never owned a Taylor with a cutaway nor factory electronics going back to 2006 when I purchased my 455. I wish I still had the 455...
« Last Edit: January 09, 2015, 10:22:02 AM by jrporter »

HondaMC1

« Reply #64 on: January 09, 2015, 01:27:19 PM »
I have 8 counting the electrics - have never sold any of the Taylors.
I started moving to Taylors about 10 years before I retired.
I have everything I want except for a 6 string Baritone.

My son has my T5 12 string custom on loan in Savannah and has a 2014 814ce "prototype" of his own.
Over time my son has inherited a Yamaha acoustic, Les Paul, Dot and a Tele. I joke my wife only counts the guitar cases
and not what's in them. As a Taylor arrived I would ship something else to my son.

I have a number of "retired" friends and family who live back east and press most of the Taylors into service when they visit.

The R. Taylor is my daily player along with the GS Mini. I gig with the 814ce and the T5. I rotate the T3 and Solidbody with the T5 for band practice and the sets we play.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2015, 01:44:44 PM by HondaMC1 »
Taylor 814ce
Taylor GS Mahogany FLTD
Taylor 654ce 12 String Red/Maple
R. Taylor Style 1 Spruce / Maple
Taylor T3 Bigbsy Tobacco
Taylor T5 Koa
Taylor T5 12 String Black with Inlay (sold)
Taylor Solidbody Standard Tobacco (sold)
K4
Genz Benz Shen Pro 200
Roland AC60
Carvin X100B - PA620
Bogner 40/20w
Bose L1 and LII w/ B2 subs

Bernie

• Music Lover
« Reply #65 on: January 10, 2015, 04:48:38 PM »
I find it surprising to see all these people with 4, 5, 6 or more Taylor guitars. Not that I don't like them - I'm very happy with mine - but there are many other good luthiers, brands or workshops to come out with very good instruments for me to get different guitars when I need a new one...To me Taylor guitars are among the very best if not the best when it comes to combine a beautiful guitar with a style of it's own to high-end onboard electronics...But aside from this, I don't quite understand your reasons...Any explanation ?

I've only ever had one Taylor guitar : my 2006 614ce (spruce/maple)
Bernie.

Strumming Fool

• Veteran Member
  • Christi simus non nostri
« Reply #66 on: January 10, 2015, 09:06:23 PM »
I find it surprising to see all these people with 4, 5, 6 or more Taylor guitars. Not that I don't like them - I'm very happy with mine - but there are many other good luthiers, brands or workshops to come out with very good instruments for me to get different guitars when I need a new one...To me Taylor guitars are among the very best if not the best when it comes to combine a beautiful guitar with a style of it's own to high-end onboard electronics...But aside from this, I don't quite understand your reasons...Any explanation ?

My explanation is that I have owned many other brands, shapes and sizes, and I've come to the conclusion that the Taylor GA fits my purposes best. I continue to compare it with other brands at my FLGS, and while I like some of what I play (Bourgeois, Collings, Avalon, Larrivee, Goodall to name a few), none of them provide everything my Taylor GAs do, regardless of price. But that's just me...
My Taylor Grand Auditoriums:

1997 Cujo14 - old growth cedar/black walnut
2014 K24e - master grade koa
2018 Custom GA - bear claw sitka spruce/mahogany
2019 614 - torrified sitka spruce/flamed maple
2020 714 - lutz spruce/rosewood

Bernie

• Music Lover
« Reply #67 on: January 11, 2015, 10:07:47 AM »
Regardless of on-board electronics too then (seems many of your guitars don't have any) ?
That's interesting : Bourgeois, Collings and Goodall among others get very good reviews usually. I keep trying guitars too, but in my country a $3000 Taylor guitar ends up costing about 4000 & for that price we do find high-end guitars made by very fine luthiers. It does make a difference.
Many thanks for this answer...

Strumming Fool

• Veteran Member
  • Christi simus non nostri
« Reply #68 on: January 11, 2015, 10:15:15 AM »
Regardless of on-board electronics too then (seems many of your guitars don't have any) ?
That's interesting : Bourgeois, Collings and Goodall among others get very good reviews usually. I keep trying guitars too, but in my country a $3000 Taylor guitar ends up costing about 4000 & for that price we do find high-end guitars made by very fine luthiers. It does make a difference.
Many thanks for this answer...

Sure- just for the record, 5 of my Taylor GAs have ES, one has a Lyric system, and one is pure acoustic. Most of the other brands I try these days (other than the Larrivees) tend to cost at least as much and usually more than my Taylors, and none of those have onboard systems....
My Taylor Grand Auditoriums:

1997 Cujo14 - old growth cedar/black walnut
2014 K24e - master grade koa
2018 Custom GA - bear claw sitka spruce/mahogany
2019 614 - torrified sitka spruce/flamed maple
2020 714 - lutz spruce/rosewood

ronmcc4

« Reply #69 on: January 11, 2015, 01:38:36 PM »
There's also the ethics and forward-thinking sustainability consciousness that Taylor has. Everything I've learn about Taylor makes them a company I gladly support. I'm not saying other makers and luthiers are bad in any way. It's just that Taylor seems to set a very high standard for quality, treatment of employees, and environmental responsibility and that makes me feel good about them and their wonderful guitars.
Ron in Tennessee
--------------------------------------------------------
2015 Taylor 614ce
2014 Taylor 324ce-K FLTD
2013 Taylor 512e 12-Fret
Journey OF660
2014 Taylor 514ce-N

Stringband Eric

• My website
« Reply #70 on: January 11, 2015, 02:47:00 PM »

I've only ever had one Taylor guitar : my 2006 614ce (spruce/maple)
Bernie.

I have owned many of the other great makes in the past - Martin, Gibson, Hoffman, Goodall, Breedlove, Collings, Santa Cruz and a ton of others.

A couple of reasons for having Taylor - easy of playability and the fact the price means I can take them out to gigs or travel and have less worry.  Not that I  don't try to be careful, but accidents happen.  And if my Taylor is damaged, well, it's bad, but not absolutely terrible.  Now, if I owned a guitar like a Fairbanks and it were to break, then that would be something to cry about. (And I feel Dale Fairbanks makes some of the best guitars out there today.)
Eric P.
2018 Taylor GS Mini Koa
1997 Taylor 420-R
2013 Gibson J-35

doctorinthehouse

• gym piper songs
« Reply #71 on: January 11, 2015, 03:49:21 PM »
only the 2 for me

taylor 214ce
taylor mini gs koa
1982 westone rainbow 1 semi
vox ac4 tube amp

Edward

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #72 on: January 11, 2015, 05:10:09 PM »
Hi Bernie,

In short, my response is I like what works for me; and I don't need, nor pay much heed, to "reviews" of guitars.  I review what works for me.

I know full well what other marques and small builders offer, and they're all nice enough; some very nice.  But the Taylor "package" offers me great tone and unparalleled playability first (yes, both are"firsts"), then quality, features (NT says it all for me), and customer support that, as a whole, is second-to-none in my decades of wading in gearland.  Taylor (and MesaBoogie, may I add), are the only two companies I can say this with confidence and experience, and this over many years without fail.  There are others that have very nice this or that, but whole package?...nah.

I am brand-loyal (or brand-averse, for that matter) for reasons that are tangible and as real as are touch, sound, and relationships.  Perhaps your desire to own other guitars is exactly that: a desire to own "different" guitars --I don't know, just speculating here.  My desire in whatever gear I own is to have it work the way I want it to.  And Taylor simply does that for me.  That they also offer all the the above in nearly innumerable flavor combinations is icing on the cake.  Perhaps that gives you a bit of insight from this gear nut anyway :)

Edward

Herb Hunter

• Veteran Member
« Reply #73 on: January 12, 2015, 01:38:47 PM »
I have other guitars besides the 5 Taylors I mentioned that I possess. However, Strumming Fool, Ronmcc4 and Edward have mentioned reasons that are factors in my decision to own many Taylor guitars.

cigarfan

• Veteran Member
  • If He comes today ...........are you ready?
    • I Ignite!
« Reply #74 on: January 14, 2015, 11:21:00 AM »
I know you said Taylor's but there are so many more ...

Taylors
Baby Taylor
2011 Spring GS-LTD (All Mahogany)
2007 GA-K
2011 GA-BTO (Sinker Redwood/Macassar Ebony)
2013 618e First Edition
2010 RTaylor Style 2 (Cedar/EIR)
2013 522 12-fret
2011 Spring LTD GA 12-fret (Cedar/Macassar Ebony)
2011 Taylor GSmini (Spruce top)

Non-Taylor
2010 Gibson J-45TV
2010 Kwasnycia 000-12 (Tunnel Redwood/Bastogne Walnut)
2014 Hatcher Penelope (Alpine Italian Spruce/"The Tree" Mahogany)
2009 Voyage Air VAD-06
2004 Reserve Grade Galloup Eclipse (Sitka/Brazilian RW)
2012 Custom Santa Cruz 000 (Italian Spruce/Cocobolo)
2011 Huss & Dalton 00-SP Custom (Engleman/Cocobolo)
2004 Mayes Jumbo Parlor (Adi/Madagascar RW)
2008 Collings 0002ha (Adirondack Spruce/EIR)
2013 Kolaya GA2 (Adi/Ziricote)
2010 Santa Cruz D12 Custom (Sitka/Mahogany)
2010 Martin Custom Shop 0-28VS (Carpathian/Amazon RW)
2011 Bourgeois SJ Custom (Redwood/Madagascar)
1999 Guild DV4
1975 Guild F112 SB 12-string
2011 Martin HD-28VS
2006 Takamine G Series EG544SC-4C NEX Koa

I think that's all of them. And this list does not include ukuleles and mandolins.
Blackbird, Froggy Bottom, Gibson, Goodall, Hatcher,
Kanile'a, Kinnard, Kwasnycia, Martin, Rainsong,
Ryan, Santa Cruz, Taylor, Voyage Air, Weber