Author Topic: You're now the new CEO of Taylor. What changes are you gonna make?  (Read 13265 times)

Guitarsan

• Veteran Member
  • Keep calm and play on!
Re: You're now the new CEO of Taylor. What changes are you gonna make?
« Reply #30 on: August 05, 2015, 12:33:55 PM »
I would stop using the white plastic binding on these beautiful guitars.

I'll second that, it does cheapen the look of the guitars.

Craig

Yeah, you know what I think? You'd think it was to save money, but I think they do it to further differentiate the lower cost from the more expensive, else they'd have more folks buying the less expensive if they were outfitted a bit better. Just my suspicion, so not thinking that will ever happen.....
"The guitar is the perfect drug because when you play it you're in no pain, and when you put it down, there's no hangover." Paul Reed Smith

2021 Taylor 914ce LTD Sinker Redwood/EIR
2016 Taylor GS Mini-e Flamed Koa

MrHarryReems

• The Kilt Lifters
« Reply #31 on: August 06, 2015, 01:07:02 PM »
I'd do a few things.

First, I'd close the Mexico facility and bring those jobs back to the US.

Second, I'd start offering ES2 upgrades right now. 

Third, I'd bring back the R. Taylor or an equivalent hand build line.
Aloha!

jtwine

« Reply #32 on: August 10, 2015, 07:42:39 PM »
I agree with earlier post about complete specs on guitars. (i. e.  martin)     case in point is I am looking for a fingerstyle guitar with at least 2 5/16" bridge spacing and preferably 2 3/8".  I like the taylor necks and would buy a fingerstyle taylor if available.  You will wear google out looking for a wide bridge taylor.   my 2 cents and I will get off my soap box.  jt

Sedated

« Reply #33 on: August 11, 2015, 07:58:23 AM »
I'd do a few things.

That's assuming those jobs, and not the people, left the United States to begin with. If what I heard at a Road Show some years back is true, that's simply not the case.

When production first moved to Tecate, the people building them in El Cajon went, as well. No one was laid off as a result of the Tecate plant opening. Since then, more positions have been created in Mexico, but no one lost a job in the United States as a result.

Moving production back to the United States would do many things. Compelling Taylor to increase prices, across the board, would be one of those things.

TaylorGirl

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
  • 7 Mountain Dulcimers!
« Reply #34 on: August 11, 2015, 08:16:25 PM »
How about some Taylor ukuleles?!
Susie
Taylors: 914 ◎ K24ce ◎ 414 ◎ GSMeK+
Ponos: ABD-6C Master Series (Cedar/Acacia) ◎ MGBD-6 Deluxe (Mango) ◎ MB-6 (Mahogany)

Have been finger-pickin' guitar since 1973!

Earl

• Veteran Member
  • Quando omni flunkus moritati
« Reply #35 on: August 12, 2015, 10:46:53 AM »

I'll second that.  I got excited briefly when they had a few Builder's Reserve ukes paired with matching guitars, but those were all hand-made by Andy, and the pairs were seriously EXPENSIVE and not available separately.  Ukulele is my second instrument, and I would be very curious to see what Taylor would do with one.  BTW, the Road Show folks have mentioned on several occasions that the original Baby Taylor was first intended to be a baritone uke, but morphed into a travel guitar instead.
Taylors:  424-LTD (all koa) and a 114ce that lives with friends in Alaska.  Low maintenance carbon fiber guitars are my "thing" these days, but I will always keep the koa 424.  Several ukulele and bass guitars too. 
*Gone but not forgotten:  a 2001 414ce, 410, 354-LTD twelve string, 314-N, 416-LTD baritone, T5 Classic, 615ce, 2006 GS-K, 1996 (first year) Baby

TaylorGirl

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
  • 7 Mountain Dulcimers!
« Reply #36 on: August 12, 2015, 11:30:37 AM »
BTW, the Road Show folks have mentioned on several occasions that the original Baby Taylor was first intended to be a baritone uke, but morphed into a travel guitar instead.
Yes, this was explained in the 35th Anniversary book. I no longer have a uke, after buying the Cordoba Mini, but would seriously consider a Taylor uke.  ;D
Susie
Taylors: 914 ◎ K24ce ◎ 414 ◎ GSMeK+
Ponos: ABD-6C Master Series (Cedar/Acacia) ◎ MGBD-6 Deluxe (Mango) ◎ MB-6 (Mahogany)

Have been finger-pickin' guitar since 1973!

sixstring23

« Reply #37 on: August 12, 2015, 01:09:17 PM »
Personally, I like white binding, its very crisp and accentuate the lines quite nicely. I would love to see an all solid, full gloss GS Mini, with some nice appointments like gotoh 510 tuners, bone nut and saddle, maybe a nice abalone rosette.  ;D
2012 Gibson J45
2014 Taylor 410ce Spring Limited

"You Gotta Let Your Soul Shine"

Edward

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #38 on: August 12, 2015, 03:11:02 PM »
Lots has been said about changes to the GSmini.  But upgrades would clearly counter the major point of its existence: low price (relatively) for its high quality.  I think the GSm is perfect the way it is at it strikes a superb balance of aesthetics and utility ...with one exception, offer it in two necks:
standard 1 11/16" and 1 3/4"

In my mind, this would maintain the cost/performance at status quo since making a marginally wider neck at the nut would not entail much different from what they already do, ergo not driving up their production costs.  And given that it's a bolt on, well, final assembly will simply split at that juncture.  There, problem solved.  I think next, we should tackle world famine...

Edward

mgap

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #39 on: August 13, 2015, 12:16:08 AM »
Lots has been said about changes to the GSmini.  But upgrades would clearly counter the major point of its existence: low price (relatively) for its high quality.  I think the GSm is perfect the way it is at it strikes a superb balance of aesthetics and utility ...with one exception, offer it in two necks:
standard 1 11/16" and 1 3/4"

In my mind, this would maintain the cost/performance at status quo since making a marginally wider neck at the nut would not entail much different from what they already do, ergo not driving up their production costs.  And given that it's a bolt on, well, final assembly will simply split at that juncture.  There, problem solved.  I think next, we should tackle world famine...

Edward
Well put.  Many of us would love to have 800 series GS Mini but who would pay the price, not many. 

Wold Famine - well that is a whole different kettle of fish.  I might just say Compassion International is a start and leave it at that
He who loses money, loses much; he who loses a friend, loses more; he who loses faith, loses all.

jivauk

• Sadly Jimmy lost his fight with cancer 3 Nov 2015
    • singer/songwriter duo, a gentle blend of acoustic instruments and vocal harmony
« Reply #40 on: August 13, 2015, 08:18:34 AM »
I would revisit the archives (I know they are out there somewhere) and re-publish every spec on every model, year, limited and special. And I would maintain them online "forever" for all those who collect and acquire older Taylors.

+1 to this. Wholeheartedly agree that this would be a great move.
Val
www.jiva.co.uk

Guitars: Taylor, Yamaha, Eko
Ukuleles: Kala
Sound System: Bose, AER

jivauk

• Sadly Jimmy lost his fight with cancer 3 Nov 2015
    • singer/songwriter duo, a gentle blend of acoustic instruments and vocal harmony
« Reply #41 on: August 13, 2015, 08:26:54 AM »
1. Make Gotoh 510 tuners standard, including minis for the 12-strings... and have the different colours/styles as options. Val prefers the Gotohs that ship with high end Taylors, Jimmy prefers Cosmo Black Gotohs, and has all his guitars fitted with them.

2. Bring back the Jumbo x15 and x55 series - neither Val nor Jimmy can quite get comfortable with the xx6 or xx8 body shapes, but the x55 12-strings are just right.
Val
www.jiva.co.uk

Guitars: Taylor, Yamaha, Eko
Ukuleles: Kala
Sound System: Bose, AER

Fletchpic

« Reply #42 on: August 14, 2015, 01:05:06 AM »
Probably already been covered, but I would start installing end pins large enough to safely secure straps.

MrHarryReems

• The Kilt Lifters
« Reply #43 on: August 17, 2015, 05:13:32 PM »
I'd do a few things.

That's assuming those jobs, and not the people, left the United States to begin with. If what I heard at a Road Show some years back is true, that's simply not the case.

When production first moved to Tecate, the people building them in El Cajon went, as well. No one was laid off as a result of the Tecate plant opening. Since then, more positions have been created in Mexico, but no one lost a job in the United States as a result.

Moving production back to the United States would do many things. Compelling Taylor to increase prices, across the board, would be one of those things.

They are using NAFTA to ship jobs overseas, plain and simple.  It's deplorable behavior, even if it's legal.  There are plenty of US guitar makers that build in the US and make a profit, even selling at a lower price than Taylor.
Aloha!

Drock2k1

« Reply #44 on: August 18, 2015, 08:53:17 AM »
Make the newer options (protein glue, advanced bracing, thinner finish) available in Custom Shop/BTO builds.