Author Topic: B string too high and rattles -fixed  (Read 2126 times)

dangrunloh

B string too high and rattles -fixed
« on: January 01, 2012, 12:29:29 PM »
Greetings Taylorites. I have a problem with excessive B-string rattle on my 414ce and discovered the B-string is higher than the E or G string at the saddle.  B-string rattle occurs when you pick the string too strongly and is frequently confused with fret buzz, nut buzz, or ball end buzz. If it occurs only with a pick and not with bare fingers it might be string rattle. The problem is typically blamed on poor playing technique and can be reduced with a more mellow pick and adjustment of the picking zone.

Searching through archives for B-string buzz I found two posts than mentioned lowering the height of the string at the saddle as a treatment for the problem. (It's the opposite of what you might try for fret buzz.)  On AGF there is a photo from a Taylor owner who found his B-string too high and filed the saddle down to correct it.

A straight edge held on my strings just ahead of the saddle confirmed than my B-string was way too high. The strings should follow a gentle curve matching the radius of the fretboard. The geometry of the compensated B-string portion of the saddle is such that if the bridge pitches forward a little too much in response to the string tension it will raise the height of the string making it easier to dig too deep when strumming or flatpicking.  A straightedge on my bridge confirms it leans forward a little.

I carefully filed down the B part of the saddle taking care to preserve the proper shape and I like it much better! It's easier to play without rattling the B.  This might not be a factor for fingerstyle but if you are picker and having a problem with rattles you might want to check your B-string.

I don't blame Taylor for this problem. They don't hand fit and sand every saddle on 100,000 guitars per year and my top could have changed in the 14 months since it was built. It still has fabulous tone and playability.

Incidentally just to find out what it would take to get true fret buzz I lowered the action artificially with the truss rod.  When I got below the recommended 4-6/64's at the 12 fret it was the bottom strings that buzzed on the frets first. Relief was non-existant (under .0015 my smallest feeler gauge) but still no back buzz. The neck is just incredible.

Happy New Year!

guitarist100

Re: B string too high and rattles -fixed
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2012, 07:23:03 AM »
I have a similar problem its my D string intermittanly rattles when fretted at the 4th fret on my 614ce ,not long ago it was the A and D strings when played open, i changed strings not long ago and now just the d string very annoying.