Author Topic: The "old" Taylor forum is gone  (Read 23896 times)

Cindy

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
Re: The "old" Taylor forum is gone
« Reply #60 on: January 05, 2012, 10:51:48 AM »
I'm going to allow this discussion for now, but we are walking a very fine line. Let's all please keep in mind Josh's request which comes from reply #33 of this current thread you are viewing:

AGF discussion is fine as long as it doesn't pit us vs them..

Now if you'll excuse me, I've got to go and check on that good-lookin' guy and hope I don't spill any coffee on him if he decides he needs a refill! ;)
Cindy

dangrunloh

« Reply #61 on: January 05, 2012, 11:51:11 AM »
I would like it if this "coffee house" stays small enough so that when the moderators have to block a post for policy reason they can at least privately notify the poster the reason for the action (instead of leaving him hanging and wondering if the post actually when through).

Cindy

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #62 on: January 05, 2012, 12:34:30 PM »
I would like it if this "coffee house" stays small enough so that when the moderators have to block a post for policy reason they can at least privately notify the poster the reason for the action (instead of leaving him hanging and wondering if the post actually when through).
Any time a post is edited by a moderator, it will show up at the bottom of the post as edited by with a date, time, and the mod's name. There is no way for us to modify other people's post without this showing. Over on the AGF, when we edit our own posts, there is an option to list the reason why the post was edited. Unfortunately this forum doesn't have that option so any references to why a post was edited is strictly voluntary on the mods' part. It's something I am trying to do now whenever I edit any posts by other members. :)
Cindy

rudals1281

« Reply #63 on: January 05, 2012, 03:25:42 PM »
Oh, there goes my reason to visit that site. ::)
2008 Taylor 614CE

dsamuel24

• Moderation in moderation. :)
    • www.dustinsamuel.com
« Reply #64 on: January 05, 2012, 06:57:13 PM »
I'm going to allow this discussion for now, but we are walking a very fine line. Let's all please keep in mind Josh's request which comes from reply #33 of this current thread you are viewing:

Now if you'll excuse me, I've got to go and check on that good-lookin' guy and hope I don't spill any coffee on him if he decides he needs a refill! ;)

Point taken... and thanks for the leniency at this point.  :D (Just leave the frying pan in the kitchen.)  ;)

Just so you know (a general you, not just Cindy), I feel like this thread has been entertaining, informative, well thought, well written, funny, serious, and all-in-all a VERY worthwhile read. These kinds of posts (especially at a brand new, maturing and formative forum) are so important and so beneficial to the individuals who choose to post, and I believe, to all the others who only read through. IMHO, this thread is what a GREAT forum is all about.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2012, 10:30:46 PM by dsamuel24 »
Taylor 615ce-L30 Hnyburst (2004) - FOR SALE
Taylor 615ce w/ES3 & TaylorSense (2000)
Taylor 315ce w/Black Tuner Buttons (2010)
Taylor 214ce-BLK w/Blk Tuner Buttons (2012)
Taylor GS Mini-LTD All Koa (2016)
Alvarez 5072 Jumbo (1994)
Ventura Mini Jumbo (2002)

Gary0319

• Sarasota FL USA
« Reply #65 on: January 05, 2012, 09:01:05 PM »

Point taken... and thanks for the leniency at this point.  :D (Just leave the frying pan in the kitchen.)  ;)

Just so you know (a general you, not just Cindy), I feel like this thread has been entertaining, informative, well thought, well written, funny, serious, and all-in-all a VERY worthwhile read. These kinds of posts (especially at a brand new, maturing and formative forum) are so important and so beneficial to the individuals who choose to post, and I believe, to all the others who only read through. IMHO, this post is what a GREAT forum is all about.

I'd just lilke to add that I'm glad that Cindy let this continue (with some good guidence). It's good to be able to find our collective "voice" on these close to the line topics. These early discussions will go a long way to establishing the tenor of the entire forum.

Thanks....

Gary
Taylor 612c Quilted Maple - 1994
Taylor Custom GC All Mahogany - 2010
Guild GAD30R - 2005
Recording King ROS-06 - 2010
Eastman E10 OM - 2011
Greg Bennett OM-08 - 2009
Yamaha CGX-171SCF Flamenco - old

e8n

« Reply #66 on: January 05, 2012, 09:40:58 PM »
Pertinent to this forum, and hope for the future: Whatever Josh decides, whatever the Mods agree to, I hope he and they think money issues through as thoroughly as possible and present a consistent, logical message throughout. Every forum I've participated in eventually requires increased bandwith and storage space, sometimes sooner than anticipated. Even just continued bandwith costs actual money.

I don't mean to indicate that someone's donating a dollar, or hundreds of dollars, entitles them to have a "say" over and against the forum owner's/chief administrator's desires.

However, it would be a shame here for those overseeing the bigger decisions here were to communicate, "We need *you* to make this place great!" then make decisions without the input of those already invested, and counter to what they had invested in, then tell them, "It's a good decision, you'll see, I don't see what the problem is, this is not your house, and also don't talk about it."

In as many words.

Maybe just let us know if and when this turns into a for-profit venture?  ;)

~ S.

You are correct that it does take money to run forums (done it for years).  What is being charged for a sponsorship for one month would pay for our forum (about 2000 visitors a day and a lot of people reading posts) would pay for a year of our hosting.  Multiply that times the number of high end sponsors and then some lower level sponsors and all the charter members and you have a nice little business.  Not to say that there is anything wrong with that.  But is not a noble cause that everyone needs to pitch in on.

As to the members having a voice.  You do, you choose to come and read and participate.  You are a click in the marketing machine (one of x #of visitors a day that you can sell your sponsors on).  If you don't come back, your click goes away and the renewal for the ads may not garner as much $$$.  Sometimes things don't make sense in the smaller picture that members typically see.  Was Taylor putting pressure on to remove the forum or was that a convenient excuse?  If that was it, why did they welcome this forum?  Did it just not fit into the bigger plan? 

We had something similar happen when we changed forum software about 8 years ago.  A bunch of people were very upset because they liked the old layout and forums a lot, the new forums were just much simpler for us to maintain and we could sell more ads to pay the bills.  We lost 100 or so members in the short term but gained a more modern site and doubled the membership in the long run.  I didn't think it was as huge deal as it was to some.

-Dave
2011 Taylor Custom GS (Adi/Rosewood)
2012 Taylor 814LTD Spring Limited
2008 Fender Telecaster
2010 Kentucky Mandolin

Guitars of the past: Alvarez AD60, 2007 Taylor 110ce, 2006 Taylor 710ce, Taylor 2008 GS Fall Ltd, 2010 Taylor 814ce, 2010 Taylor K26c,2010 Taylor Custom DN, Taylor 714ce

Bong Twang Ping

« Reply #67 on: January 08, 2012, 05:40:23 AM »
Personally, I see the removal of that single brand specific sub-forum on the AGF as a logical step in it's evolution to becoming THE acoustic guitar forum; a coming of age if you will. I'm also glad that it has, by default, bolstered the development of the UTGF... which is shaping up to be a very pleasant place to hang out and talk to a great bunch of people in a cosier environment with a somewhat more focused commonality! As far as I'm concerned... it's all good.

For what it's worth I also think the restraint that JR has shown in exploiting the commercial potential of the AGF is to be applauded. I doubt very much that the returns do much more than cover the costs.

Bong

Steve

• Veteran Member
    • Steve Parr Photography
« Reply #68 on: January 09, 2012, 01:53:23 PM »
I suspect this forum will see an influx of new members because of this.

It's why I'm here. I'm not interested in reading about Martins and Guilds and Breedloves and MacPheresons. I just want to read about Taylor, and I'll be dipped if I'm going to cull through pages of inane posts to accomplish that.
No one has ever been on their death-bed wishing they'd been more practical...

taylor96

« Reply #69 on: January 10, 2012, 09:00:21 PM »
I suspect this forum will see an influx of new members because of this.

It's why I'm here. I'm not interested in reading about Martins and Guilds and Breedloves and MacPheresons. I just want to read about Taylor, and I'll be dipped if I'm going to cull through pages of inane posts to accomplish that.

Same here.. BUT I do like to read about Martins, Blueridge, etc etc, BUT as you know they have their own sites and I can just go to the respective site,  and as you say not have to wade thru a lot of info that is of no interest to me.. looking forward to this site as it grows.....
1996 Taylor 510
1998 Martin SPD-16T
2004 Blueridge BR160
Est.1990++ Goya G300

Kevin A

« Reply #70 on: January 10, 2012, 11:14:02 PM »
I just want to read about Taylor, and I'll be dipped if I'm going to cull through pages of inane posts to accomplish that.
I think you'll find your fair share of 'inane' postings on pretty much any guitar site. Give this forum time & you'll see what I mean.  ;)

dangrunloh

« Reply #71 on: January 11, 2012, 12:57:10 AM »
Any time a post is edited by a moderator, it will show up at the bottom of the post as edited by with a date, time, and the mod's name. There is no way for us to modify other people's post without this showing. Over on the AGF, when we edit our own posts, there is an option to list the reason why the post was edited. Unfortunately this forum doesn't have that option so any references to why a post was edited is strictly voluntary on the mods' part. It's something I am trying to do now whenever I edit any posts by other members. :)

Thanks Cindy your are doing great. I don't my posts being edited as required by the moderator (in case I forget the rules).  I didn't like it when my post was disappeared on AGF without explanation.  Now I know it was because it contained a link to here and again thank "cotton" for explaining the reason.

BigSkyTaylorPlayer

• Veteran Member
  • Are we there yet.....
« Reply #72 on: January 12, 2012, 09:29:20 AM »
I'm glad this forum is letting us have a nice discussion.  I have been visiting the AGF and I find it frustrating that alot of  negativity comes out in some of the threads - some of the comments even go as far to say good riddence to us Taylor people - not nice at all.  Seems they could be a little more open minded.  I love Taylors but I know there are other great guitars out there as well.

I have been to 2 road shows (one in VA and one in FL) and the thing that really struck me was at both shows, whenever anyone brought up another manufacturer the Taylor guys were quick to say they have great respect and admiration for the other builders.  To me that shows maturity and foresight, if I go to a Taylor show and all they do is bash the other brands I would not think very much of them (Taylor).

michaelw

• Veteran Member
  • with more frivolous trivia than most infomercials
    • i agree with Fred
« Reply #73 on: January 12, 2012, 10:47:33 AM »
I just want to read about Taylor, and I'll be dipped if I'm going to cull through pages of inane posts to accomplish that.
I think you'll find your fair share of 'inane' postings on pretty much any guitar site. Give this forum time & you'll see what I mean.  ;)
ha, Ha, HA ... YES!
you are correct, sir :D
http://www.unofficialtaylorguitarforum.com/index.php?topic=39.msg1328#msg1328

hi Kevin,
WELCOME !glad you made it to the party
good to see you here :)
it's not about what you play,
it's all about why you play ...

support indie musicians
https://www.patreon.com/sidecarjudy
https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/the-jessica-malone-music-project#/

Andromeda

« Reply #74 on: January 12, 2012, 11:08:41 AM »
I was at the AGF when it was the UTGF. I was sad to see the Taylor subsection go but I always thought that it was the logical step. I am glad this place is here because I do enjoy the "Taylor only" focus of this place. I also love other brands and I will remain at the AGF as well as posting here. Its the best of both worlds.
2016 Taylor Custom Cedar-Rosewood GS
2015 Breedlove Discovery Dreadnaught
2012 Alvarez ABT60 Baritone

Namasté