Author Topic: Am I stupid for considering this???  (Read 2996 times)

horax

Am I stupid for considering this???
« on: January 16, 2019, 07:57:19 PM »
I own a Taylor gc3 and a Yamaha A3R for my current acoustics.

I am very seriously considering selling my Yamaha all wood guitar to buy a 114e with the most beautiful walnut finish. The Ebony is striped and it’s amaizig. The playability is really iOS and the sound is there.

Is this stupid to consider moving away from all solid to layered back and sides?

zeebow

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
Re: Am I stupid for considering this???
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2019, 09:03:57 PM »
nothing wrong at all, some high end luthiers only use laminate (pressed) for back and sides.

if the guitar speaks to you, doesn't matter if it's made out of plywood, its still a blessing.

cheers
1995 912C - englemann/eir
2009 xxxv-p - sitka/madagascar
2010 414ce - sitka/ovangkol (made on my wedding day!)
2011 914ce - cedar/eir
2014 martin 000-28 custom - adi/cocobolo
2017 BTO GC 12 fret - lutz/cocobolo
2019 BTO GC 12 fret - cedar/cocobolo
2019 sheeran w03 - cedar/santos rosewood
2019 lowden s35 12 fret - driftwood cedar/cocobolo
2020 lowden s35 12 fret alpine spruce/madagascar
2023 lowden wee wl-35 12 fret - driftwood cedar/madagascar
2023 martin 00-28 modern deluxe - sitka/eir

Strumming Fool

• Veteran Member
  • Christi simus non nostri
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2019, 09:37:46 PM »
Laminated back/sides do not necessarily indicate an inferior guitar. It's all about the build/bracing. Enjoy!
« Last Edit: January 17, 2019, 07:24:44 AM by Strumming Fool »
My Taylor Grand Auditoriums:

1997 Cujo14 - old growth cedar/black walnut
2014 K24e - master grade koa
2018 Custom GA - bear claw sitka spruce/mahogany
2019 614 - torrified sitka spruce/flamed maple
2020 714 - lutz spruce/rosewood

Coco Kid

« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2019, 10:06:46 PM »
It really depends on whether you prefer the tone of plywood or whatever tonewood the Yamaha uses. Laminate simply means, and someone correct me if I'm wrong, that a thin layer of Walnut is added to the exterior of the plywood. Bob Taylor has made guitars out of factory flooring wood (can't recall the species) and many people praised him for thinking "alternatively" rather than sticking to the traditional tonewoods of Rosewood and Mahogany. Taylor have gone against tradition and say they can make Maple sound bassy, it just depends on the build and bracing. People often make claims like how Madagascar Rosewood or Wenge (which is not even a Rosewood) get close to Brazilian Rosewood depending on the builder and bracing. It may not be popular to say so now, but in the future people could be claiming that the plywood used for laminate back and sides, depending on the builder and bracing, is a decent alternative to Brazilian Rosewood.

TaylorGirl

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
  • 7 Mountain Dulcimers!
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2019, 06:04:04 AM »
No, you aren't stupid. Play the 2 guitars side by side, if you can, for your best comparison. If the 114e really sounds good, I wouldn't worry if it's a laminate. Laminate guitars, depending on the build, can be superior to some solid wood guitars, and Taylor makes quality guitars. Being laminate, it will be a little less sensitive to humidity changes too. I think it is a personal decision. If you love the 114e, there's nothing stupid about getting it.  Oh, one more thing.....Taylor guitars have a great feel (playability), as you know. If the 114e is more comfortable to play, you will play it more too.
Susie
Taylors: 914 ◎ K24ce ◎ 414 ◎ GSMeK+
Ponos: ABD-6C Master Series (Cedar/Acacia) ◎ MGBD-6 Deluxe (Mango) ◎ MB-6 (Mahogany)

Have been finger-pickin' guitar since 1973!

Earl

• Veteran Member
  • Quando omni flunkus moritati
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2019, 09:58:29 AM »
People make way too much fuss about solid vs. laminated body woods, IMO.  Most of the sound comes from the top, and the body woods merely "flavor" that sound.  Tops can vary quite a bit in their properties.  I've heard luthiers say that acceptable spruce tops can vary by up to 30% in their stiffness, modulus of elasticity, etc.  With tops that can cover that much ground, I don't worry about whether the back & sides are laminated or solid.  You have to judge specific examples of any guitar.  In a sample of 100 identical models, there will be a bell curve of sound quality -- a few relative duds, mostly pretty good ones, and a few standouts.

As had already been said, what really counts is how an individual guitar sounds and plays for you.  Try to play your current one against any potential replacement side by side in the same room.
Taylors:  424-LTD (all koa) and a 114ce that lives with friends in Alaska.  Low maintenance carbon fiber guitars are my "thing" these days, but I will always keep the koa 424.  Several ukulele and bass guitars too. 
*Gone but not forgotten:  a 2001 414ce, 410, 354-LTD twelve string, 314-N, 416-LTD baritone, T5 Classic, 615ce, 2006 GS-K, 1996 (first year) Baby

cc7

• The Elderly Brothers of Chicagoland on YouTube
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2019, 10:55:20 AM »
All the above plus, if you are mainly plugging in, not a huge difference to me.
If gigging, laminates have an advantage in ruggedness.
Yes, my solid wood classicals sounded better. But my 114ce-N (see avatar for some choice looking walnut!) sounds great as well.

greg947

« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2019, 12:11:58 PM »
One other thing to consider is the nut width.  Does the fact that the Yamaha has a narrower nut width than the GC3 bother you at all?  The 114e has the same 1 11/16 inch nut width as the Yamaha. The GC3 is 1 3/4 inch wide at the nut.  If you have found you don't play the Yamaha as much because of the narrower nut,  I would find a different guitar.  For some people, it doesn't bother them, so if you are like that, I agree with everyone else, laminates are worth considering.  Others, like me, would rather play a guitar with a 1 3/4 inch nut.  That is why when I was first looking for a guitar, I passed on a great sounding Taylor 214.  I don't like a 1 11/16 nut.
2007 Taylor GA7
2010 Taylor GSmini
2010 Taylor GS8e
2014 Taylor 712e FLTD
1973 Guild F212

horax

« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2019, 12:50:21 PM »
I generally prefer a wider neck overall....including nut width.

BUT that being said, the Yamaha neck width doens't bother me.  The Taylor nut width is really nice.
I was playing several at the store yesteday and DID like the 1.3/4 better overall.  Just hard to buy a new
guitar on such a limited budget right now.

Edward

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2019, 01:08:12 PM »
"really iOS"??? 
Are you thinking of trading your guit for an ipad?  ;)

From laminated to solid wood, or the other way around: to base any guitar's "worth" or "goodness quotient" on this one criterion --or any one criterion-- is missing a guitar's overall value in tone, playability, build quality, and therefore complete player's satisfaction.

I think when you suggest the playability is excellent and say the sound "is there" then you have made your decision well.  To add in aesthetics to the decision is all good, and certainly can add to one's appreciation of an instrument, but you're assessing the guitar as a whole.  Choose the guitar that draws you in and makes you feel like it's a privilege to own: that is the correct guitar :D

Edward
« Last Edit: January 17, 2019, 01:22:29 PM by Edward »

Edward

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2019, 01:20:54 PM »
...  The Taylor nut width is really nice.
I was playing several at the store yesteday and DID like the 1.3/4 better overall.  Just hard to buy a new
guitar on such a limited budget right now.

Solution: buy a used 300+ series guitar. 

- You get the 1 3/4" nut whereas every 100/200 series gets the 1 11/16" nut without exception.  So no matter how good any 100/200 may sound and play, you have zero options with the nut width and neck carve.

- 300+ series Taylors occasionally come with the narrower nut (more rare still is the 1 13/16" nut), and sometimes the slim-carve neck.  But unless stated explicitly, a used Taylor will have the standard neck carve and 1 3/4 nut.

- used always trumps new when looking at bang for buck.  We all know about depreciation for cars once they are sold from new; it's a massive valuation hit that the orig owner accepts but the future owner(s) benefit from.  You can benefit greatly from a bit of internet legwork and patience.  While I love the 100/200 guitars (I own a 210 and dig it a lot!!), I would personally never buy one new.  Not a slam against this series or to the owners, just my personal bias, and a bias based largely on always wanting the most for my dollar :)

Edward

horax

« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2019, 03:28:40 PM »
"really iOS"??? 
Are you thinking of trading your guit for an ipad?  ;)

From laminated to solid wood, or the other way around: to base any guitar's "worth" or "goodness quotient" on this one criterion --or any one criterion-- is missing a guitar's overall value in tone, playability, build quality, and therefore complete player's satisfaction.

I think when you suggest the playability is excellent and say the sound "is there" then you have made your decision well.  To add in aesthetics to the decision is all good, and certainly can add to one's appreciation of an instrument, but you're assessing the guitar as a whole.  Choose the guitar that draws you in and makes you feel like it's a privilege to own: that is the correct guitar :D

Edward

Ha! Didn't see the auto-correct on my phone changed it....my bad.

Frettingflyer

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2019, 10:03:22 PM »
Some of those Taylor laminates really sound fantastic, so if the shoe(guitar) fits, go for it. It sounds as if this guitar really caught your ear(eye too) for a reason. So no, its not crazy!
Lots of good advice on the thread.
Dave
2014 Koa GS Mini-e FLTD (for the wife)
2004 314ce,
2014 custom GC Coco/Euro spruce
2015 Wildwood 812ce 12 fret
2016 522ce 12 fret
2019 K24ce BE
2021 322e
2017 Blackbird Lucky 13
2019 Mcpherson Sable

horax

« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2019, 12:57:34 AM »
It’s hard because I really do love the Yamaha, but something’s gotta go if I want something new.  I’m at that point.

I’ve looked at a lot, and I could go for a full wood Martin OOO, fender paramount, Faith, etc, but the Taylor still is amazing AND reverb is having a good sale right now.

Unfortunately the dealer won’t match the prices, but I could get a screaming deal if I bought now. Gah!

Frettingflyer

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2019, 08:01:51 AM »
Be sure to call the forum sponsors, I have purchased through Ted and Helene at LA Guitar sales many times, call for the best price. I am sure he will give you some time after the quote, no pressure from them ever.
Good luck with your decision.
Dave
2014 Koa GS Mini-e FLTD (for the wife)
2004 314ce,
2014 custom GC Coco/Euro spruce
2015 Wildwood 812ce 12 fret
2016 522ce 12 fret
2019 K24ce BE
2021 322e
2017 Blackbird Lucky 13
2019 Mcpherson Sable