Author Topic: Bridge pins  (Read 2668 times)

sacredground

• Give me a good guitar...or two good guitars, or...
Bridge pins
« on: March 02, 2019, 08:23:53 PM »
Anyone experiment with swapping out stock bridge pins? My guess is Taylor pays attention to all of the elements contributing to voicing. I tried some Tusq pins and heard more string separation and harmonics. Thoughts?
Making music since 1973

Lowden Bensusan adi over honduran rw
Lowden Pierre Bensusan Old Lady
2019 Taylor 914ce V Class Sitka over EIR
2019 614ce Torrefied Sitka over flamed maple

RileyKendall

Re: Bridge pins
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2019, 09:41:05 PM »
I swapped ebony for ebony with abalone dots on my 916ce.  Took those plain ebony pins and replaced the plastic pins on my 224ce Koa DLX.   
2018 Taylor 916ce
2018 Taylor 224ce DLX Koa Special Edition
2016 Taylor Wildwood Custom GA 414ce (Engelmann Spruce/Flamed Maple)
2018 RainSong H-WS1000N2

Strumming Fool

• Veteran Member
  • Christi simus non nostri
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2019, 10:15:22 PM »
All my Taylors have bone bridge pins. They do make a difference to my ear, adding more presence to the tone. Buffalo horn also sounds better than ebony or any of the synthetic materials in my experience.... I like Bob Colosi dyed bone bridge pins, because they afford you an opportunity to use something that compliments your particular guitar's aesthetics.  Inlays are also available on these pins. Here's an example of dyed bone bridge pins on my new 614 V class:

« Last Edit: March 03, 2019, 09:28:05 AM by Strumming Fool »
My Taylor Grand Auditoriums:

1997 Cujo14 - old growth cedar/black walnut
2014 K24e - master grade koa
2018 Custom GA - bear claw sitka spruce/mahogany
2019 614 - torrified sitka spruce/flamed maple
2020 714 - lutz spruce/rosewood

Guitarsan

• Veteran Member
  • Keep calm and play on!
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2019, 08:23:41 AM »
Tonally, bridge pin changes tend to be subtle, unless you're replacing the plastic ones Taylor puts in GS Minis and up to and including Series 200 guitars. (Taylor, I think hilariously, won't admit they're plastic in the specs, they call them "Black".) Noticeable difference in sustain and dynamics changing from plastic to ebony or other better materials. Beyond that swap, it gets more subtle, if perceivable at all.

Primarily for cosmetic reasons and to "make it mine", I've used FWI (fosselized walrus ivory) on my 812ce DLX. It compliments the light maple binding on the soundhole and purfling on the top very nicely! Plus its cool to realize the material is hundreds to thousands of years old.  8)

« Last Edit: March 03, 2019, 08:26:13 AM by Guitarsan »
"The guitar is the perfect drug because when you play it you're in no pain, and when you put it down, there's no hangover." Paul Reed Smith

2021 Taylor 914ce LTD Sinker Redwood/EIR
2016 Taylor GS Mini-e Flamed Koa

Guitars44me

• Live Long, tune up often, and Play Pretty
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2019, 11:46:43 AM »
While swapping pins can certainly make a tonal difference, I have found I often prefer a bone Saddle to the tusq or micarta.

The saddle is more crucial to the tone than the pins imho.  A nut can help too, but only on the open strings...

The quest for more tone and volume is always a worthy one!

Happy modding!

Paul

sacredground

« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2019, 03:16:44 PM »
The saddle is more crucial to the tone than the pins imho.  A nut can help too, but only on the open strings...

Agree totally. Ordered a wave compensated bone saddle. Been trying pins from the parts box. Thanks!
Making music since 1973

sacredground

« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2019, 03:21:21 PM »
All my Taylors have bone bridge pins. I like Bob Colosi dyed bone bridge pins, because they afford you an opportunity to use something that compliments your particular guitar's aesthetics. 
Been doing business with Bob for years. Strikes me as honest & knowledgeable. Haven’t tried buffalo horn pins...do you have an opinion on how they compare with bone? Thanks.
Making music since 1973

Strumming Fool

• Veteran Member
  • Christi simus non nostri
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2019, 05:18:36 PM »
All my Taylors have bone bridge pins. I like Bob Colosi dyed bone bridge pins, because they afford you an opportunity to use something that compliments your particular guitar's aesthetics. 
Been doing business with Bob for years. Strikes me as honest & knowledgeable. Haven’t tried buffalo horn pins...do you have an opinion on how they compare with bone? Thanks.

Yes. As others have said, going with a bone saddle will yield the most dramatic results versus the installation of a bone nut. After that, bridge pin material can make a further difference. While I do like the sound change brought on by buffalo horn bridge pins (if you prefer the ebony look), bone has more density, thereby yielding a more brilliant tone with perhaps more volume. I may be nuts, but I like using the same material for saddles and pins, because I think it tends to homogenize the tonal effect. Try it and see what you think....
My Taylor Grand Auditoriums:

1997 Cujo14 - old growth cedar/black walnut
2014 K24e - master grade koa
2018 Custom GA - bear claw sitka spruce/mahogany
2019 614 - torrified sitka spruce/flamed maple
2020 714 - lutz spruce/rosewood